Privateer MP3's - 8 minute loop

That's true isn't it.

The mining base track is pretty bleak and sparse. I was wondering about the Privateer 2 music files. I've heard the ones in the music files section but they just sound so weird.

Syndicate sure had some good tunes didn't it? Remember that game?

I can record it if you want, but it'll have to wait till next weekend since I'm not at home this week. It's a shame I didn't see this post yesterday.

As for the virtual SC, well... I can't really recommend it, since it's not much better IMO than the Microsoft GS synth. Some of the instruments are in rather poor quality and the orchestra drumkit is extremely weak. I can give you a demonstration if you want.

Regarding the Virtual Sound Canvas, I did my own test and was surprised. I thought it would be much better than Microsoft's GS synth. I came to the same conclusion you did. Did Roland cripple it in some way or is that the nature of software synthesizers?

both answers are correct. The main reason Roland 'crippled' the VSC is it's tremendous demand of resources. Today's computers could probably handle it without a problem, but back when it just came out, it used 90% of the PC's resources and still fell short of it's hardware equivalent.

There's a new version of the VSC called HyperCanvas, and I've heard it's pretty good, but I'd take a good ol' Roland SC-55 any day.

Back