Privateer in Windows (not the same error)

As to my previous thread, I've been trying to get Privateer to work with my Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold. Since my AWE64 seems to work better in Windows 98 than in DOS, I tried to see what I could do to get Privateer to work in a DOS box. Of course, it gave me this familiar error message:

Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls.
Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option.
If it is, replace the option "NOEMS" with "RAM".

This is because JEMM is it's own 32-bit memory manager and doesn't work with Windows' memory manager. Then I got to wondering if JEMM even needed any sort of "EMS driver." To test this theory, I booted up DOS without loading EMM386.EXE at all. Sure enough, Privateer worked fine without it. Then I figured out a way to disable Expanded memory from Windows. First, EMM386.EXE had to be removed from CONFIG.SYS. Then in the SYSTEM.INI file, I typed in EMMExclude=A000-FFFF under [386Enh]. Now, Expanded Memory was totally gone; I could tell from when I right-clicked on a program, went to the Memory Tab, and under "Expanded (EMS) memory," it says:

The computer is not configured for expanded memory in MS-DOS sessions.

This time when I tried Privateer in the DOS box, it came up with a different error:

Network driver detected. Cannot switch to protected mode safely.

Now, I tried removing my network card physically, as well as it's drivers, but it still comes up with the same error. Does anyone have any idea what the next step might be? Maybe this whole thing is a lost cause, but I'm still curious...

P.S. WC Armada only shows the first error message, after disabling Expanded Memory, but then again, my AWE64 works fine with Armada, so I don't mind.

That's an interesting story, but I don't like tinkering that much with a computer - I'd probably end up destroying it!

Agreed. EMS is good for you. I don't have a care in the world swooshing through Priv1 with EMS. Use EMS, don't tear out EMS. I can SO easily draw up a parallell to the part in Grim Fandango where Glottis tore out his heart and threw it into the woods. When he got it back:
Good, strong, beating heart!
Be good to heart, don't tear out heart!
Hey, is that my car?

LOL! I know; EMS is not something to chuck. I just wanted to get my AWE64's MPU-401 to work with Priv1, instead of using the AdLib/SoundBlaster synthesized music. I was just looking at all my options, even the most unlikely.

Back