Privateer help

Guss

Spaceman
I used to play privateer a lot, then i stopped for a short period of time and when i went to play it again it said JEMM unloaded. It will not play on either of my two computers and it will not work with either of my two cd's. Any suggestions?:confused:

I am using a quantex i think it is two or three years old and it has windows 98, my config data and all i have no idea about, i just install the ganes and play. i am not that into knowing how they work. any suggestions on how to tell you what exactly i have would be most welcome. thanks

Guss, P1 is a DOS base game. It won't play in windows. It needs to be in a pure DOS enviroment. The "Jemm" memory manager program that P1 uses won't work in windows. Now we can create a boot disk but, you must provide some info about your machine.

What sound card do you have? Which version of P1 do you have? CD or floppy. What model of the Quantex do you have? What joystick do you have? Your joystick must support DOS.

The Device Manager should have all your hardware info. Go to the Control Panel > Systems icon. The first tab should show all your hardware. Look for your sound card.

Post you c:\autoexec.bat, c:\config.sys, and c:\windows\dosstart.bat files. Just use the Find File command on your Start Button and open them with Notepad.

looks like i have sound blaster pro emulation. my joystick is a sidewinder made by microsoft. my version of P1 is the cd version. in system properties under computer it says GenuineIntel X86 family 6 model 8 stepping 1 128.0 MB RAM. you said autoexec.bat but i don't see it i have these .dos, just plain autoexec, .osi, and .nai which one you want? i will post .dos incase. REM [Header]
@ECHO OFF

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

REM [Sound, MIDI, or Video Capture Card]

REM [Mouse]

the config.sys is
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\himem.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\emm386.exe ON RAM 4096
rem DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
and the windows dosstart.bat is not on the system either, but there is a program dosstart that tries to get me to shut down the computer to dos to configure the mouse.

You PC is setup not to show the file extension. With the Windows Explore go to the Toolbar and View > Folder Options. Choose the View Tab and under "Hide Files" select "Show all files". Next uncheck "Hide files extension for know file type".
You can now see the file extensions. That DOSSTART program (DOSSTART.BAT) is what I need. It may list any DOS drivers you may have install. Open it with Notepad.

As far as your sound card is concern the sound blaster pro emulation isn't the name of your sound card. Most sound cards use some kind a SB emulations for 16 bit sound. I need to know exactly which sound card you have. Example: Creative Labs SBlive, Turle Beach Santa Cruz, or Ensoniq SoundscapeVIVO. Since Quantex is out of business it going to be a little difficult to get stuff but not in impossible. Do you have a CD with drivers on it?

there is a dosstart.bat now but it opens as a program i can't seem to open it as notepad. anysuggestions?

i have another question as well, how do i know if my EMS driver is set for noems or set on ram? i found this dos function that was for dos games. i tried it and it said that my ems driver was not responding and that that in need to see if it is set for noems or ram and make sure it is on ram.

Do not worry about the noems thing yet. I will help you with all that. I first need info.

To open the dosstart.bat file you must first open notepab and change the "Files of type" to All Files. Notepad location is Start > Programs > Accessiors.

Steps:

Open Notepad > File > Open > change the "Files of type" to All Files. Path c:\windows\dosstart.bat.

You still need to ID your sound card. This is a must. Also, which version of P1 do you have, CD or floppy?

Can you help me to?

Hi Johnl12,

I hope you can helb me,too!

I have Privateer I + Win 98 SE and have the same
problem as guss!

Can I post here the files you wrote below?
I now where the files and the rest are....

I hope you will help me ;o)

CU

Privateer boot disc

OK guys here are my data's:

P III 500 mhz; Win 98 Se; Nivida Riva TNT 2 Model 64/Pro;
Sound: Creative Soundblaster PCI 64V; CD: LITEON 40max; CDRW: Plextor 8max; Privateer Version --> CD; Joystick --> Gravis Analog Pro; Mous/Keyboard --> Logitech cordless Desktop;

autoexec.bat
@echo off
Set Blaster=A220 I7 D1 T2
Set SNDSCAPE=C:\Windows
set dircmd=/p/ogne
set tmp=c:\windows\temp
keyb gr,,c:\windows\comand\keyboard.sys

config sys
DEVICE=C:\Windows\Himem.sys
Device=C:\Windows\emm386.exe
dos=high,umb
device=c:\cdrom\oakcdrom.sys /d.cdlw

dosstart.bat
@echo off
c:\cdrom\mscdex.exe /d:cdlw

c:\sbpci\apinit
Rem c:\mouse\mouse.exe
c:\mouse\mouse.exe

That's it....

My failure msg is...

"not enough dos memory......."

Thanx --> Isn't it a great game - I playes it on my 386 PC a few years ago!!!!

Flateric-
Lets try this. First you need to create a basic bootdisk. Insert and floppy and right on the A: drive. Select Format. You'll need to format and copy the system files to the floppy. Next copy the autoexec.bat and config.sys from your PC to the floppy. Now using notepad open each file on your floppy and delete their context and enter what I wrote below.

Now there are two lines in the autoexec.bat which you'll need to fix.

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBPCI

KEYB GR,,C:\WINDOWS\COMAND\KEYBOARD.SYS

These two lines are split. There is a restriction on this web site which won't let long lines with no break in them to post correctly. You need to make sure that each line is one complete line.

Also, you keyboard and mouse may not work in DOS because they are USB. Don't panick yet, let me know what happens.

----CONFIG.SYS---------
[COMMON]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB

REM --- CD-ROM DRIVE ---
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS /D.CDLW

STACKS=18,256
FILESHIGH=50
BUFFERSHIGH=35
SHELL=C:\ WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS /P
LASTDRIVE=F

---------AUTOEXEC.BAT--------
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBPCI
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
PROMPT $P$G
KEYB GR,,C:\WINDOWS\COMAND\KEYBOARD.SYS
REM -SOUND CARD---
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2 J200
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS
C:\SBPCI\APINIT

REM --- CD-ROM DRIVE ---
LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CDLW

REM --- MOUSE-----
C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM

basic bootdisc

Hi JohnI12,

i created the bootdisc as you wrote....

But I get the following failure message from DOS:

invalid system
change disk and press button

So what shall I do?
Lets try another disc...

CU

You need to select Copy System files or Copy system files only from the Format menu. Do this from the PC you are planning to use to play this play. Remember to format the disk first.

Another mistake by me...

Hi John,

I forgot to say that i habe 2 main boards!
C:\ is my board for programms incl Win
D:\ is my board for personal data's and DRIVERS !!!!
E:\ is my PlexWriter
D:\ is my CDROM drive

Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK... I've copied the files to my floppy (my A:\ drive)
Wich parts of your list should i change...

--> If my keyboard/mouse with USB is a problem i still have
my old keyboard and mouse...

New failure message

Hi JohnI12,

sorry for my confus posts..
But i want to play this great game!

OK the boot disc is runnig but i get a failure message from dos!

First of All my keyboard is confusing....
backslash is at another place
the same with : ist also at another place on my keyboard
but thats no problem. I located them!

But when i tried to start priv i get the dos failure message:

insufficient dos memory ....

Help me please ;)

Back