Privateer Gold Sound Settup Issues

Jumper

Rear Admiral
If I see "You privatateer sound setup is incorrect blah blah blah" one more time, I'm gonna have a psyco episode.

Anyway, my sound card is a vintage 1994 SB16, non-PnP, perfectly suited for older games like Privateer. I can get MIDI to work by setting it to Soubdblaster PRO/16 or even Soundblaster, but NONE of the Digital FX settings will work.

Here are the contents of the config.sys and autoexec.bat for my Privater shortcut:

Config.sys:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 2592 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM
FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:mscd001
DEVICEHIGH=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /WIN95 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5 P:330
DEVICEHIGH=C:\Progra~1\Creative\CTSND\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

Autoexec.bat:

SET TMP=c:\windows\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\windows\TEMP
SET PROMPT=MS-DOS Mode $p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
LH C:\MSMOUSE\MOUSE.com /c1

WC Academy, Armada, and other older games all use the card perfectly. Suggestions? you guys seam really good at working out Privateer Gold problems.

Hmm... which older games? It's entirely possible to play both Academy and Armada without noticing that there's no digital sound going on. Have you tried older games that have speech to make sure that digital sound is in fact working in them?

Both Academy and Armada hace Speech Paks, and I have heard digital speech in both and in WC2. Right down to the kilrathi in Academy screaming "Nooooooooooo" when I kill him.

Your surprised it's not working in Privateer? Imagine the look on my face.. I secretly switched sound cards with my mom to get DOS Sound Support. She hasn't realized that she has the AudioPCI yet *snicker*. Let me give this a try..

[This message has been edited by Jumper (edited July 02, 2000).]

I got the package with CTCM and ran it before running Privateer.. Same old thing. I even ran it as a device driver in config.sys, before the other Creative drivers. Thats what the readme said to do; it didn't help.

I also added NOAUTO to my DOS= line, to surpress any possible interference from the strange Windows things that get loaded otherwise. Next I'm off to get rid of the need for the CD-ROM drivers, to see if that makes any difference.

I *am* trying to put you into retirement. Fixed the dang thing myself. I suppose you'll want to know how? I actually found some inof useful for fixing most sound cards made before March 1996.

Okay. It all started when I tried to run the "PIFMaker" utility on my Priv Gold CD. The utility itself wouldn't run - it was supposed to make a PIF/Shortcut for Priv though, setting up sound and everything.

Browsing through the folder where PIFMaker was located, I found a file called General.NFO. In this file is the setup info that PIFMaker would have used to generate the shortcut for Privateer.

The top part, as far as I can tell, relates to copying the settings from your existing config.sys and autoexec.bat - provided your SOUND= environment varible is set.

The bottem part is the real meat. It assumes you have no SOUND= and gives the proper AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS lines for lots and lots of sound cards. It had me insert two lines into my AUTOEXEC.BAT. I downloaded the Win95 DOS Mode Utils for my SB16, as that was where the files I needed were located. I also kept the two DOS Low-Level drivers in my config.sys, as the readme for the files I needed to run said they were required.

In the end my CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT looked like this:

DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 2592 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM
FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /WIN95 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5 P:330
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

SET TMP=c:\windows\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\windows\TEMP
SET PROMPT=MS-DOS Mode $p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
REM LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

The last two lines of AUTOEXEC.BAT were found in the SB16 section of Part 2 of the GENERAL.NFO file I found.

So, have I sent you into retirement yet?

Nah; I've still got people e-mailing me for help on the Ultima series.

Thanks for the info; I don't have a copy of Priv Gold to work with.

Stinger said:
Nah; I've still got people e-mailing me for help on the Ultima series.

Thanks for the info; I don't have a copy of Priv Gold to work with.

I'll e-mail you a copy of the file. I think it's probably good general dos-mode initilization stuff that would probably help people with Ultima gmes as well as Privateer.

Back