Privateer Gold CD version & Sound distortions

Ultimatar

Spaceman
I finally built and configured a legacy P1-133 system for older games. I installed my recently acquired Privateer Gold because I cannot find my old floppy version. The game runs fine but the voices sometimes play badly distorted. My ships weapons always play distorted which seems to sometimes affect other sounds and sometimes not. Enemy ship weapons fire plays fine. :confused: I thought maybe this version from EA was a crappy one, but I don't have another to try yet.
Any help or suggestions? The system is using Win98SE but I play on a pure DOS bootup with an old ISA SoundBlaster 16 plug-n-play.
Thanks again!

Here comes the fun part with Privateer: It goes bonkers if it has more than 16 Mb RAM to play with. To remedy this, dig out your EMM386.exe-line in config.sys and add something between 4 and 16 Mb (4096-16384). Make sure it says RAM instead of NOEMS (which it probably already does, since the game runs, oh well, just thought I'd mention it).

Thanks. I was looking for some examples of how to set EMM386 up but haven't had success. I can't remember how to use it so some suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Here you go: change your EMS line in your autoexec.bat to the following:
device=emm386.exe ram 16384
or how much ram you want to have.

Thanks. I was looking at the old docs while my wife was shopping and they had
EMM386.exe xxxx RAM. Does it matter whether the RAM comes before or after the number?

Thanks for the help guys. I got it working thanks to the PIF that was made when I installed through Win98. You were right though Privateer doesn't like a lot of memory. Got it down to 16MB and a smartdrv of 2048. Thanks again!

Back