Privateer dosbox and XP self-installer

geisthund

Captain
heya,

I know there are instructions on how to setup the original privateer to run under dosbox, but did any of you know that someone has made a self-installer for privateer to run under windows XP?

I downloaded it and was pleasantly surprised by the nice icons it created, and the obvious effort Argh put into making it, but was disappointed to find that it didn't really work on my system except in "windowed" mode.

However, after tweaking the conf files for a day I discovered how to get the whole thing setup and working perfectly

I then spent the next 24 hours creating an installer CD to make the whole process of installing Argh's installer, and then updating it to a working version with dosbox 0.65, as well as options to install the original remake and the gemini gold remake.

I was initially just planning to keep it for myself, but then it struck me that there might be people on here interested in something like this.

Anyway the filesize is approx 620 MB - so if anyone is really interested in this i can msn messenger it to them, and they can get it hosted somewhere.

regards

oh. it just occurred to me that you guys might not like the idea of distributing working copies of privateer.

is anyone out there able to tweak the stuff i've got into another installer package that just installs argh's icons, registry entries for install and uninstall points, dosbox, my working conf files and possibly the two .tre files from the original CD (for upgrading the sound to cd version) OVER a player's existing (and, cough, presumed original) copy of privateer - without going the full monty and installing the entire game?

geisthund said:
oh. it just occurred to me that you guys might not like the idea of distributing working copies of privateer.

And you didn't think to edit your original post? Read the rules before you post again.

http://www.crius.net/zone/faq.php?&faq=cicfaq#faq_cic_rules

11) Linking to, offering, requesting or hinting at the whereabouts of warez, abandonwarez, copying games or other illegal content can result in immediate banning.

hey don't get your feathers in a fluff... the installer Argh put up doesn't actually work until you delve deep into the mysteries of dosbox's .conf settings. And even so it doesn't have the speech pack working - which either involves you having to delve into the way privateer works (not that hard, in truth) or else in overwriting the files from your own original CD (which was thankfully possible for me.)

That's no excuse of course. I honestly didn't think of it when I first made my post - for that I apologise most sincerely. And when the realisation hit me that wcnews frowns rather sternly on non-original games I was in the process of hurtling out the door for work (as one does) and didn't really think to edit my old post. I guess I should have.

So yes, I apologise most sincerely.

Again though, it's worth someone taking a look at that broken installer simply because Argh clearly put effort into crafting the icons and the installer, and the uninstaller, and even trying to figure out how dosbox works. It's clearly the work of a fan, even if, well, it doesn't work. I guess it's a shame Origin / EA isn't re-releasing privateer for windows XP and that it takes for the fans to have to figure it out themselves.

I think it'd be a bit of a shame if Argh's work is lost. It'd be nice if someone could remove the original game files from his installer, leaving behind only his stuff - the customized .conf files, dosbox, and the data structure (to get privateer to always run from a specific directory at a simple double click requires a bit more effort than your well-written guide includes) - yet keeping all his stuff in an easy to use double-click installer package, that installs over your existing game and enables it in win xp. I suppose I could figure it out but I don't know of any cd-installer-builder programs that can get the job done... does anyone out there have any ideas?

Dosbox is super easy to use if you have a front-end like D-fend. I think it's a good idea for users to figure out Dosbox by themselves. There are a lot of great dos games out there besides privateer, and knowing how to use Dosbox lets you play pretty much all of them.

Back