Privateer: can't access ship dealers when running w/o cd

DocScorpio

Spaceman
Another odd privateer problem: I've loaded the whole game on my harddrive (put the contents of the CD in a directory called "CD" in the main game directory) and run it using a .bat which starts up a program called "fakecd." With one exception, everything works just fine. The problem is I cannot access the ship dealers "buy a new ship function." When I click on one of the ships at the ship dealer, the game crashes to black screen and then my pc reboots.

I've got the fake cd drive setup as "D" which is also my regular CD drive. In this case there's no conflict because my PIF doesn't load the CD drivers, so the only "D" drive that DOS can see is the fake one. I've also set up the fake cd drive as "F" (unused drive position which required me to repoint the .cfg files), but it makes no difference. The game still crashes. BTW, I'm using the Privateer "Gold Edition" version CD. I also have a couple of earlier CD versions, but have not tried to see if one of them might work better (frankly, I don't know that they're any different than the gold version, which just has a boot installer added).

When I want to buy a ship, I have to start the game with another PIF (which loads the CD drivers) and run the game with the CD in my "D" drive. If I do that the ship dealer function works just fine.

Anybody know what is happening here? Thanks for any help.

I think that the problem is because of the fake CD, do a full install copy the *.tre files and edit the *.cfg

Back