Privateer/AWE32

S

Sythifuge

Greetings,

I am trying to play this game with general midi emualtion with my AWE32 sound card. The game locks up right at the beginning of the intro (right when it shows the planet on the left side of the screen). When I change the music to Soundblaster 16, the game runs fine (but the music is inferior!). This also happens on my other system with an Audigy card in it. I remember getting the general midi music to work fine a while back on a Live card. Any ideas anyone?

Aside from getting Privateer to work in the first place, getting sound with it as well seems to be one of the biggest tech issues here.

I take it you've tried playing around with the settings in the setup program? I think the issue might be something to do with the BLASTER settings in AUTOEXEC.BAT, so posting your system files would be a good start in solving this. Although, I'd be satisfied with the FM modulation, anyway - after all, it's quite an old DOS games. You can play the MIDIs with your fancy soundcard in Windows or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, what port is your AWE32's MIDI emulation set to? Despite promising otherwise in the install program, Privateer will eat your children unless you set it to 330...

And what sort of memory do you have on the AWE? Some of the older cards wouldn't do General MIDI emulation unless you installed extra RAM on the sound card (or a waveblaster)...

My AWE32 is set at the default settings (midi port 330). I also have 8 megs of ram on the card. I'll post the contents of my startup files next time I'm online (I'm on my Audigy machine right now). I might just aquire a Roland card, as I am noticing problems with other games as well (getting midi for a few minutes in other old games, then they lock up). I'm also going to mess around with the system in general, because I have read nothing on the net about people having similar problems.

Well I got sick of trying to get my AWE32 to work with Privateer. It also locks up right at the beginning of the Strike Commander intro. Maybe my card has a defect, because I put it in a different system, and when I try to load one of these games with general midi, the pc reboots (though every other game works fine with it). I put my SBLive in my Wing Commander machine, and I get midi music (sounds beautiful). But after playing for 5-20 minutes, the sound effects/speech gets all messed up (sometimes screechy, other times muted with a "pop" type sound being played in place of the sound effects. I have my emm386 line set up properly (device=c:\windows\emm386.exe 16384 ram i=b000-b7ff). I even tried changing the ram setting to 8192. If anyone has any solutions, please let me know. Or, if you have a Wave Blaster or some type of Roland, or ANY wavetable card that you know that works fine with Privateer, please send me an email at sythifuge@hotmail.com if you would like to sell or trade for it. Thanks!

I decided to put the AWE32 in a 486DX2/50. The sound and music both work!!! But the game runs kind of choppy, which is very annoying due to the fact that the game came out in 93 (if I recall correctly), meaning that this should be running faster, since 93' was the year that I got my brand new 486SX/33. It runs a little fast on my WC machine (a Pentium-200MMX), but way better than on the 486, just no awe32 (or sound screwing up on the SBLive). I just can't win with this game...

double check to make sure it is seated properly in the slot.
simple, but it still gets me, and those damn Master/Slave jumpers...

Back