Privateer and SBLIVE

robert1

Spaceman
I can make the game run fine in dos. Sound and music is another issue. Any setting i put will pretty much work and produce sound but it will be staticy and the game will eventually freeze. The same thing happens to the sound too... anyway i can't seem to fix it and would really apreciate any help.

Did you limit your EMS memory to 16 MB?

To do that, add the number 16384 to your EMM386.EXE line in your config.sys, like so:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF

That is to include the memory range from segment B000h to B7FFh in EMS optimizations; it helps clear some conventional memory. It's not normally there because that memory range is commonly used for SuperVGA stuff. Since Privateer doesn't use SuperVGA, there's no harm in including it.

didnt work.

adding that additional line did not help the sound issue. i've run out of ideas on how to fix it... anyway here is my autoexec and configsys if they can help.

autoexec:
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

configsys:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16348 /I=B000-B7FF

Hmm....

I don't believe it'll help, but there's no harm in it, so:

You might try specifying explicitely that EMM386 should allocate expanded memory using the RAM switch. Your line should look like this:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF

still didnt work

It still has the sound problem. The sound slows down when the game engine is running and eventually the game freezes. If anyone got their privateer to run with SBLive value can you please post your autoexec configsys?

Privateer sound problems

It isn't just the SB Live that has problems. I have an Aureal Vortex 2 and get the same crappy static in the game. The music works fine, though. The game also seems very unstable, it freezes or dumps me back to the dos prompt every few missions or so.

I hope this helps...

Hi,

reading some other threads I have found out that if you DON'T have a joystick installed, the game will slow down at half the speed it is supposed to run on a given machine. I think it was pointed out by one of the "old" guys of this forum, altough I am sorry I don't remember who...

I don't really know if there is to be a real joystick, I suppose you should simply activate the joystick support on your sound card.

Anyway, it worked for me, now the game works just fine with my sblive value. The only thing I am working on, sound fx crashes after battles with too much "action", and then I am left only with "thump thump" while music keeps playing fine... after that the only remedy is an hard reboot.

My system:

Athlon 600
MB Asus K7M
CREATIVE GEFORCE256DDR 32MB
SB Live! Value

S.O. Windows 98SE

The game runs off a boot-disk with win98 system files. Mind you, I have the diskette version, so I do not need to load any cdrom drivers...

Good luck!

Caladan

your files please.....

he, caladan, could you please post your autoexec and config-files in here???

I really need some help, I have been trying to get P1 running with my SBLive Player in dos-mode under win98SE...

static speech right from the start (intro)

please help me

Back