Privateer and its bugs

Hola one and all. I have been a fan of WC for.... well far too long really, and decided to dig out Privateer when I heard about this myJemm utility. It works fine, as stable as I ever got it to work on DOS despite the author's self-deprecation.

Anyway, to the crux of the post. Was there ever a patch/fix for the bug whereby your shields are reduced to half their strength (or less!) occasionally during combat when you receive a comm? Or to the slight bug where the message screen remains up for too long once you've received some messages, blocking you from using 'E' to find out the status of your target?

Thank you.

PS. In my old(er) age my reflexes are definitely going! I used to be able to walk all over WC3 in all difficulties and I have to say I struggled like a blind old desk jockey the other day. :) . Great fun though - I still can't find a series of games to top the sheer pleasure I get from playing WC.

Spirit's Dommo! said:
Was there ever a patch/fix for the bug whereby your shields are reduced to half their strength (or less!) occasionally during combat when you receive a comm?

I think that´s not a bug... What happens is that when you drain excessively the energy provided by the power generator, either by firing your guns a lot or hitting the TAB key (burners) for too long, the ship automatically transfers some energy from your shields to your power plant, so that you can keep firing or afterburning with a lot of extra power.

Spirit's Dommo! said:
Or to the slight bug where the message screen remains up for too long once you've received some messages, blocking you from using 'E' to find out the status of your target?

That never happened to me. Anyway, welcome!!! Hope you don´t end like our last Spirit fan ;)

Right right, I understand the sense in that argument, but it does seem to be triggered when someone screams out some near death comm. It could be that I only notice during them as it's a valid assumption that I'm likely to be emptying my energy reserves to get a death shot.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not an uber-spirit-fan (TM), but I am a 'Dommo"' - aren't we all?

It's not a bug, it's a feature!:) I'm pretty sure Starkey is right - higher level shields will automagically crank down if you're trying to use too much energy.

The comm issue is caused by certain soundcards, IIRC - there's a similar bug in WC1/2/Academy. I don't think there's a patch.

Back