Privateer 3 Script

I have not posted in this thread because I have never had the chance to play either Privateer games. :mad: But I figured now I chip in my two credit's worth.

I have been coming to this board for a long time, but just recently decided to become a member. As such I have seen that the members of this board are quite capable of creating great things related to the universe that we all love.

However, I must agree with Edfilho. These great fan projects should be wrapped up before something of this magnitude should be attempted. :)

Someone should just make a d20 Priv3 RPG and let that be the end of it. I mean it will be the most effective way to play Priv3 in the near future

I also have the proposed budget for Privateer 3. I'll scan the entire breakdown with the script... but the total is something just upwards of 1.5 million dollars. (Don't let that discourage fan projects, which almost certainly wouldn't involve a film shoot.)

1.5 million... doesent sound like there is much room for FMV in that budget at all. WC4's budget was exponentially higher than that.

WC4's budget, yes - WCP's budget, no. So it's definitely possible to fit FMV into a game budget like that. Remember, WC4 was specifically designed to be expensive - they even shot it on film.

WC4 had several sets and better effects and was shot on film. WCP had mostly the Midway interiors and a few other minor locations. And had less extras and was shot in video

By a budget of "just only" 1.5 million dollars, I don't want to know, how they would visualize the Kilrathi - CGIs? Because there is a opponent group of Kilrathi how I read out from LOAF's linked writing. No generic Kilrathi pirates or agitating clan warriors. So it's logical that they would put in a greater focus like in some narrated sequences or even encounters. They seem to be like the second "evil" in the storyline, while a greater "cataclysmic" menace (Nephilim, Stelteks, the artifact, something others) is forming.

CGI Kilrathi could almost certainly look better than WC4 Melek or those uber-expensive Movie things :p. Another thing is that they would try to minimise the costs by avoiding too many face-to-face encounters between Kats and people.

I skimmed the budget and I don't see any provision for animatronics -- so it's possible that they'd have been CGI. (The entire project later became 'all CGI', just before it was cancelled).

There are more 'Kilrathi and humans' scenes than WCIII had (your character interacts with a Kilrathi priestess, and a Kilrathi talks with Dr. Severin)... but they're all on "Kilrathi" sets -- which helps. Melek + all humans + Intrepid set was a bad idea.

Didn't Darkmage envision a WCU-type project, with P3 as a starter a couple of years ago? I didn't keep track of it, so it might have been the starting point for the WCU project as such.. - but if it wasn't, what did come out of that?

Hmm, 1.5 Million that seems like a feasible amount. I suppose I could put up the first $20...who wants to take it from there?

criticalmass said:
Didn't Darkmage envision a WCU-type project, with P3 as a starter a couple of years ago? I didn't keep track of it, so it might have been the starting point for the WCU project as such.. - but if it wasn't, what did come out of that?

Yeah he did. If I remember correctly, it was never finished and I don't think much came out of it.

Eder said:
(What I'm saying is... could the community make a good game based on the Priv 3 script if it wanted to? In theory, yup. In practice, would enough people want to? I don't think so.)

Personally, I would really enjoy working on eather P3 or a community-joined project.

I, on the other hand, would be very satisfied seeing modders all coming up with original projects.

I think one very important thing must be pointed out here - I've never seen anyone in charge of (or taking part in) a successful fan project that would suggest that the editing community should all be working on the same project. It's always non-editing people. I would recommend to such people that they should get a bit of experience working on fan projects before they presume to tell us what we should be doing :p.

Quarto said:
I think one very important thing must be pointed out here - I've never seen anyone in charge of (or taking part in) a successful fan project that would suggest that the editing community should all be working on the same project. It's always non-editing people. I would recommend to such people that they should get a bit of experience working on fan projects before they presume to tell us what we should be doing :p.

Well of course

Back