Privateer 2 Win95 Ver Install Problem

mpenfold

Spaceman
I am trying to install Privateer 2 (Win 95 Version) under Win XP. The installation routine will not allow me to proceed, saying there is not enough disk space. In fact there is more than enough, and I suspect that the install program is incorrectly reading the availible diskspace.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Try setting the compatability mode on the installer to win95. that may do it. (BTW, is there much difference between priv2dos and priv2win? I've been searching for the windows version, but if there is some way I can alter it to run under windows, such as the EXE and DLL's of Priv2win...)

I tries setting the compatability mode, but it was having none of it.

Never having played the DOS version I have no idea what the differences are.

Originally posted by Manic
I've been searching for the windows version, but if there is some way I can alter it to run under windows, such as the EXE and DLL's of Priv2win...)
The DOS version plays better then the Windows version. It just plays way to fast.

This will instruct you on how to install and play P2 DOS version from within a DOS window (Full-screen).

First if you haven't already done so get the P2 Patch here:
https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml

Open My Computer and right click on the CD-ROM drive that P2 is in. Choose Explore than right click on the Install.exe file. Choose Properties > Program tab > Advanced button. Check the "Prevent ms-dos base programs from detecting Windows" box and uncheck the "Suggest MS-DOS mode as necessary" box. Click okay, okay. Now double click the Install.exe file. You can now auto-detect the sound card and install this game.

Now you must now do the P2 patch. Once this has been done, right click on the C:\DARK\DARK.EXE file and choose "Copy". On the Desktop right click and choose "Paste Shortcut". Now as before right click on the shortcut you just created. Choose Properties > Program tab > Advanced button. Check the "Prevent ms-dos base programs from detecting Windows" box and uncheck the "Suggest MS-DOS mode as necessary" box. Click okay, okay. You can now play P2 within a DOS window. No extra Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files needed.

Calibration:
While in flight mode hit "Alt-O". When you are in the calibration screen on the right there are instructions. Read them. You're supposed to get the square as small as possible without the ball going outside it. Use the - and + to decrease and increase the dead zone. I prefer my digital Joystick too.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow,you just re opened a 2 year dead Thread :D Anyway thanks for your help buddy ;)

Back