Privateer 2 Video problem: black lines

Sphynx

Commodore
So, gog.com's WC releases inspired me to see if I could get my old WC games working (caveat: I am not a computer genius in any sense of the word, so my attempts have been anything but elegant). I have gotten Privateer 2 working in Dosbox and so far everything is working well (no crashes when landing on planets, etc.), but when the movies play it seems like I have a bunch of black lines streaking through the picture. It's literally like looking at the movies through Venetian blinds. The black lines seem to be every other line of pixels. I have tried looking through the tech support forums and haven't found this issue yet. Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing the problem and how to fix it?

That's how the game was designed. It's called interlacing, and it was pretty common in the '90s. WC3 was originally low res, and I believe Kilrathi Saga added an interlacing option. I think WC4 was the other way and the Win95 patch added a deinterlace option. Prophecy had it in the regular menus. But I don't think Privateer 2 ever had the feature to deinterlace.

https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/privateer-2-interlaced-videos.19105/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the speedy reply (I guess it helps if you know the right term when you're searching, doesn't it? I learned something new today.). Knowing that, I will just enjoy it the way it is.

The interesting question for me is how most people preferred this interlacing to simple full (albeit of course blocky) resolution. I always hated it with passion.

Back