Privateer 2 Qs

pendell

Spaceman
All right, so I'm getting P2 after quite some
time away, and I have a few questions:

1. Are you *sure* this is in the WC universe?
Stream Lasers? Flux Lasers? Forget those! Where
are my TACHYON CANNON?!

2. The mechanism for travel seems entirely
different -- the ships make multiple
micro-jumps within the three systems to
travel from place to place. As opposed to
the single jumps which traveled between star
systems in WC.

How is this possible? Have they reverted
back to Hopper Drive? If not, what is the
graviational anomaly that makes mini-jumping
a possibility in P2?

3. I note that they are building artificial
jump gates -- is this related to the technology
taken from the Nephilem in Prophecy? Where ARE
they? Where are the Kilrathi? Where is anyone?
Where's the continuity?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Oh, man, please don't start this discussion again!

Face it: Privateer 2 is part of the WCU.

Respectfully, Dralthi5

Raising this subject is like opening Pandora's box. Many would tell you Privateer 2 is in fact a part of the WC universe, but takes place way off in the future after WCP/SO. Next to the "unknown ship", which is a Talon, and the entries in the "Booth" system, it definately has ties to Confed. The Tri-System is a distant "outpost" if you will, apart from the main Confederation space boarders.

Without the above mentioned items that link P2 to the WC universe, nothing else in the game points to WC. No Confed ships, no Kilrathi or Kilrathi ships. The only thing in there ship wise that would link the Kilrathi is the unknown ship, which you find in an SOS mission. It is a Talon fighter, and according to the corrected records, is a Kilrathi design.

The jump nodes could be seen as "smaller equivalents" to the huge quasars and black holes. Since the timeline of Privateer 2 is in the future from WCP/SO, they came up with "artificial" singularities and are able to place them at any point in space connecting two regions of space. (just guessing!)

But in a nutshell, P2 is a part of WC. It just doesnt seem like it up front.

RFB

Yes, but did you liked it? I'm thinking of getting it but all those questions and the fact that IT'S NOT WC Universe are making me decide to buy IW2 instead... Someone said that its the future, but, like you've said, there's no continuity.

Well, even tho there is an apparent "lack" of reference within the game linking it to the WC universe, its an excellent game. The thing to remember is, that it takes place well into the future from where the WC universe left off in WCP/SO.

It is definately worth getting. I enjoy that game even today. It has a good "Sherlock Holmes" type plot to it, where you find out your identity and track clues to finding your origins. Plus the game has over 100 extra missions as well as the plot missions. Very much like Privateer, but you hire cargo ships instead of carrying cargo yourself. Instead of just one or two groups after you, you have a bunch! Alot more ships to purchase than in P1, and more weapons to choose from. (my favorite, the Nukem bomb!)

If you dont have it, it is well worth getting to add to the WC collection!

RFB

Er, since it's about a hundred years after WCP, there's of course, little continuity...but, it IS WC. Don't deny that it's not...it's like saying The Phantom Menace isn't part of the SW continuity.

Waitaminute...what SOS mission? The only two "important" SOS mission's I've found are the Sera Melissa Banks (damn! That silvery armor! Whoo! ;) ) and Ralph McCloud, where you get the Kraven MkIV's. What's the SOS mission called? And what do you do? Can you get the special ship (er, the Talon?)

The "SOS" mission is a mission from the CIS special ops division. You intercept a downed pilot, tractor him in and haul him to the nearest base. You cannot fly the Talon. I dont remember what the mission is called.

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 04-30-2001 at 17:30]

Here is an exerpt from a WC3/4 FAQ. In my mind it explains why the timeline seems a bit disjointed.

10.11.1. Privateer 2
---------------------

This project is already underway at Origin's headquarters in Austin and is
being headed by Frank Savage (the same guy who was at the helm of the WC3
development team). It is going to use what will most likely be the WC5 (!)
engine, and feature the same protagonist from the first Privateer game.
Slated for a Christmas 1996 release, Privateer 2 will most likely be made
to run under Windows '95.

10.11.2. The Darkening
----------------------

While not exactly part of the Wing Commander series, a separate space
combat game is in development, and is being headed up by Erin Roberts
(Chris Roberts' brother). Like WC3, it will utilize live acting for all of
the cinematic sequences, and will use an updated version of the WC3 engine
for the actual gameplay. One of the head writers is Diane Duane, a well-
known author who has written several successful "Star Trek" novels, among
other things. This game is being developed and filmed entirely in the
United Kingdom.

1. Yes, it's the Wing Commander Universe -- in the year 2790. Where was your tachyon cannon in 2654. :)?

2. Privateer 2 has two sorts of jumps... the mini-jump, which was first seen in Firekka in SM2, and the normal jump (via gate).

3. This technology first appeared in the WCIV novel -- the Border Worlds had a device that could open a jump tunnel and allow non-jump-capable ships to move through it. It's probably an extrapoloation thereof. The Kilrathi aren't in Privateer 2 -- they're no longer a great threat in that time period.

Where in the MAP of WC (I.E the WCU map who comes with WCP) will fit the P2 map ????

[Edited by Ghost on 04-30-2001 at 20:45]

Originally posted by Nep Parth
Er, since it's about a hundred years after WCP, there's of course, little continuity...but, it IS WC. Don't deny that it's not...it's like saying The Phantom Menace isn't part of the SW continuity.
Difference is 30-40 years between Phantom and ANH vs 110 years, which could make all the difference, and a more appropriate analagy would be to compare say the original star trek to a show based on the dominion in the gamma quadrent, you might here the occasional reference to the federation (doubtful) but it would still be the same universe

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
1. Yes, it's the Wing Commander Universe -- in the year 2790. Where was your tachyon cannon in 2654. :)?

I would assume either not invented, or in preliminary
development. Why do you suppose it was discontinued?
Or is it still in service, and the Tri-System
represents a technology "island" where the technology
to produce it is not available (rather like the
Third world today -- the technology to produce
microprocessors exists in the world, but is beyond
the reach of the native industries of many countries).

2. Privateer 2 has two sorts of jumps... the mini-jump, which was first seen in Firekka in SM2, and the normal jump (via gate).

Than they are in fact using jump technology, as I
suggested, and did not fall back to using Hopper?
I got the impression that the "standard" jumps in
P2 were entirely natural. The fact that we
must use these points suggests to me either
that either there is something special about the
Tri-System that allows mini-jumps, or the nav
points are merely that -- navigation buoys that
line a convenient path for Hopper technology.
I dunno -- perhaps there is some reason to use
Hopper in Tri-System? Cheaper, more reliable?

3. This technology first appeared in the WCIV novel -- the Border Worlds had a device that could open a jump tunnel and allow non-jump-capable ships to move through it. It's probably an extrapoloation thereof. The Kilrathi aren't in Privateer 2 -- they're no longer a great threat in that time period.

So is it fair to assume that the N. are also
disposed of? Granted Earth may have been part
of the Butcher's Bill, but the existence of a
stable federation of worlds in the galaxy --
as opposed to a fleeing band of nomads a la
Battlestar Galactica -- suggests to me that Confed
won the Nephilem War. Either that, or they are now
one of the Aligned Peoples, with all the rights
and privileges pertaining thereto.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

[Edited by pendell on 04-30-2001 at 23:09]

I would assume either not invented, or in preliminary development. Why do you suppose it was discontinued?

There are simply better, newer and cheaper guns...

Than they are in fact using jump technology, as I suggested, and did not fall back to using Hopper? I got the impression that the "standard" jumps in P2 were entirely natural. The fact that we must use these points suggests to me either that either there is something special about the Tri-System that allows mini-jumps...

Correct -- if it were using Hopper technology, they probably wouldn't call them jumps... being mini-jumps makes the most sense, I think.

So is it fair to assume that the N. are also disposed of?

Well.. Joe does offer us space bug gumbo in the intro. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Well.. Joe does offer us space bug gumbo in the intro. :)

The "stew" that Sir Aris ordered didnt look so appetizing either! When Joe tossed it on the bar, some of it spilled on the counter, had a greenish look to it. You think Joe may have sliped Aris the Space Bug Gumbo instead!?

RFB

Back