Privateer 2 Public Records Database - Missing articles

G Man

Rear Admiral
I'm revisiting Privateer 2. In the articles section of this site, there's a full listing of all the database entries including some I've never seen in the actual game such as Hassan, CIS and the Kindred. Does my copy have a glitch?

Yes and no!

The game unlocks entries as you play, which is why some of yours may not have appeared... but there are also some that are 'in there' which (as far as anyone has discovered) never unlock correctly (like the CIS entry). The article extracted them all by force, IIRC.

I know the entries unlock as you go along :p But when I used to play the game years ago (about a decade ago actually) I don't think every character I met got a bio entry (like Hassan, Rhinehart and IIRC maybe Vonx and Uncle Kashumai) How did Wing Commander CIC "extract this info by force"?

If it's the article I'm thinking of, it was by hex-editing a saved game file. I saved the game, flew a mission that unlocked a database entry and saved again. By comparing the two files I figured out (with some trial and error) what offset was telling it which entries were unlocked. I cycled through the options until I had everything.

Since then, though, awesome P2 developer Paulie Hughes has actually sent us all the game's internal text. That's posted somewhere too!

Back