Privateer 2 error message

Anima

Spaceman
Hi All,
First-time poster, be kind. ;K)

Ahh, I've been trying to get the game working for a week or so now. It's the Dos version, I've already installed the patch, have the autoexec and config.sys and all purrfect, from what I can tell. The error goes something like,

Fatal Error -- Streamreader -- Illegal chunk size 674499461
Buffersize 50000

--insert random binary characters here, about ten lines of 'em--

Wonga=13,500 credits

I loved the wonga thing at first, the funniest error message I've ever gotten. But after a week...it's no longer funny. ;K)

Anyone had this problem?

-Anima

Welcome to the CZ, Anima !!!!
have you configured the sound card and joystick in the Install????
Do you play it in True Dos mode or in WIN 9X ????
Do you have enough memory to play ??
Please post your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys so we can help you.

Privateer 2 Error msg, victim's autoexec/config.sys

Alrighty, here's what I've got right now.

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,umb
FILES=60
BUFFERS=60
LASTDRIVE=K
DEVICE=C:\SAMSUNG\SSCDROM.SYS /D:SSCD000 /V
Autoexec:

echo off
path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\dos;
prompt $p$g
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRAM FILES\PHOTODELUXE 2.\ ADOBECONNECTABLES
PROMPT $P$G
PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:SSCD000

CLS
ECHO
ECHO
ECHO
ECHO
ECHO

C:\PRIV_MSG.COM

I'm not using a joystick, the sound lines are in there, the mouse driver I enable manually in DOS for some reason... :KS
Anyways, this is it. Need anything else?

Purrrrs,
Anima

Anima, First the BUFFER size can not exceed 50 this is what's causing that error message. That's just the way buffer is design. The P2 install guide says to set buffer to 40. I am assuming you are using a short cut icon to run P2. You will need to edit the icon's autoexec.bat and config.sys (I clean yours up) with the info below. The SBLive SB16 Emulation needs "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE" to load. I REM it first to see if the sound card will load without it. If you can't get sound then remove the REM to let EMM386.EXE load. Also, go to https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml and download the P2 patch.

--------Config.sys----
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DOS=HIGH,umb
FILESHIGH=60
BUFFERSHIGH=40
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SAMSUNG\SSCDROM.SYS /D:SSCD000 /V
LASTDRIVE=K

---------Autoexec.bat------

echo off
SET path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\dos;C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\;
prompt $p$g
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6 J200
SBMIXER /P /Q

CLS
ECHO
ECHO
ECHO
ECHO
ECHO

I also enable the joystick port for you so if you gave a DOS joystick you can use it.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-10-2001 at 05:55]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nopers,

Sorry Johnl12, That didn't work. :K(
Like I mentioned below, the patch is already installed. I've tried different files/buffers settings, and changing it this time yielded no better results. I know about the emm386.exe thing, I tried doing without it once or twice and got a headache over the sound, so yes, that stays in. Here's the config I just tried, that yielded the same message as before.

config.sys:
DEVICEhigh=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,umb

FILES=60
BUFFERS=40
LASTDRIVE=K
DEVICEhigh=C:\SAMSUNG\SSCDROM.SYS /D:SSCD000 /V DEVICEhigh=c:\windows\EMM386.EXE 18384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM

Autoexec.bat:

@echo off
path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\dos;
prompt $p$g
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SBMIXER /P /Q
PROMPT $P$G
PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

CLS
ECHO
ECHO
ECHO
ECHO
ECHO

Bah. I've emailed Origin tech support as well with this, but really have no idea when they might get back to me.
I use a Geforce MX 2 video card, could that be the problem? The error message struck me as sounding video related.

Thanks,
Anima

Anima, first the order of which things load in the autoexec.bat and config.sys is very important.

EMM386.EXE needs to be the second line. Also don't use the DEVICEhigh= for the EMM386.EXE and HIMEM.SYS they must load in conventional memeory.

Also, don't use the "18384 D=64 FRAME=E000 /I=B000-B7FF RAM" for P2. You only need one PATH statement and PROMPT $P$G and they should be on top of the autoexec.bat. No it's not the video card. You should use the autoexec.bat and config.sys I posted.

O'kay, I just rip off the plastic off my copy of P2. I have the Deluxe Edition so I never open the DOS version. I hope you appreciate this. We want to start clean so delete the C:\dark directory. Get rid of it to avoid any problems.

This will instruct you on how to install and play P2 from within a DOS window (full-screen).

Open My Computer and right click on the CD-ROM drive that P2 is in. Choose Explore than right click on the Install.exe file. Choose Properties > Program tab > Advanced button. Check the "Prevent ms-dos base programs from detecting Windows" box and uncheck the "Suggest MS-DOS mode as necessary" box. Click okay, okay. Now double click the Install.exe file. You can now auto-detect the sound card and install this game.

Now you must do the P2 patch. Once this has been done, right click on the C:\DARK\DARK.EXE file and choose "Copy". On the Desktop right click and choose "Paste Shortcut". Now as before right click on the shortcut you just created. Choose Properties > Program tab > Advanced button. Check the "Prevent ms-dos base programs from detecting Windows" box and uncheck the "Suggest MS-DOS mode as necessary" box. Click okay, okay. You can now play P2 within a DOS window. No extra Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files.

This does work. I tested it and wrote these instructions as I did it.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-11-2001 at 03:01]

I am surprise no one else posted this solution. I would have like to not have to open my box.:) Origin should have these instructions posted on their web site.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-11-2001 at 03:07]

ACK!

Sorry, neither your solution, nor changing my autoexec and congif.sys to your specs *exactly* worked. I still get the same error message. :K(
Anima
p.s. Sorry you opened your box for naught...

The installation instruction does work. The problem must be your PC. Did you follow my instructions exactly. SBLive needs emm386.exe this is the only way around this or you can get a SB16 card. I have Win98 which OS are you using? Did the game detect your sound card? Check the Device Manager and verifly that "Creative SB16 Emulation" is present.

Yes. My computer is....odd.

Wellll, yes, The SB16 emulation is there and working, according to device manager. The install program worked perfectly anytime I tried it, and successfully detected and tested music and sound. I use Win98 (sadly) and I really can't think of any other reason why my computer might be acting up like this... I do not have DOS by the way. Not the program.

Anima

Wedge009, that's not the problem. P2 can't run or be install while emm386.exe is loaded. SBLive's SB16 Emulation DOS drivers needs emm386.exe to work. Catch 22.

Anima, I'm at a loss. The only thing else I can suggest is to update you drivers. Check out Creative Labs get liveware 3 and the sblw9xup date 05/05/00. Run the Windows Update. Check for virus.

I can get P2 DOS working on my system. I have win98 and a SBLive card. I also make sure my PC's drivers are all up to date.

You can also get a SB16 card so you can play in DOS. SB 16 does not require emm386.exe. You can have both SBLive and SB16 card in the same system. SB 16 will replace the SBLive's SB16 Emulation.

Out side of that I am out of ideas.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 06-12-2001 at 05:11]

Anima, how did you install P2 without a sound card? I couldn't do it. I double check Origin's support site and it says that P2 can not be install with a sound card.

Confused, now

Where did you get the idea my sound card wasn't working? The computer recognizes it just fine, either in Windows or in Dos, as long as EMM386 is loaded. The install program autodetected it *fine* and the tests were audible. I'm sure Privateer will run with sound...if it ever runs at all. Bah.
Oh well, guess I'll just play the first Privateer awhile longer. That one crashes whenever I play with sound tho. :K(
Anyways, thanks for trying, everyone.
Anima

Originally posted by Johnl12
Wedge009, that's not the problem. P2 can't run or be install while emm386.exe is loaded. SBLive's SB16 Emulation DOS drivers needs emm386.exe to work. Catch 22.

Huh? P2 does conflict with emm386? Since when? My DOS versions (German and English) run fine with either Qemm or EMM386. Even work in a Win9x Window.

:KP

If I was less confused, I'd smiley-raspberry you back, but I dunno how to do that. |K)
And confused people have more fun, you know that? ;K)
Purrrs,
Anima

Back