Privateer 2 DOS joystick won't center

Stomp357

Spaceman
I have a DOS 7.1 boot floppy that allows me to play DOS games in real mode DOS. My HDD is fomatted with FAT32 to help achieve this. My soundcard has working DOS drivers, so the sound, & gameport work fine. I'm using a CH Flightstick Pro, & CH Pro Throttle gameport versions.
Even though I calibrate the joystick, & throttle within the game, the joystick will not center. It usally drifts hard to the upper, or lower corners. Adjusting the sticks physical trim controls will not help. The throttle calibrates fine. The joystick works fine with other DOS, & Windows games. I've tried using slowdown utilities in DOS thinking maybe the system is too fast (Athlon XP 3000+), but it doesn't help, and the game's speed seems fine without using a slowdown utility.
The game runs flawless except for this one problem. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Joystick Problems

Hello,

I too have recently been trying to set up my old games here and managed to get Privateer 2 to work; however, I have USB Microsoft Sidewinder joystick connected and the game is not recognizing it at all. There is no response in the calibrations and no response from the joystick during flight. I have tried using just "joystick" and "joystick with throttle" in the flight options but have met with no change. Any ideas?

-CR

I have a DOS 7.1 boot floppy that allows me to play DOS games in real mode DOS. My HDD is fomatted with FAT32 to help achieve this. My soundcard has working DOS drivers, so the sound, & gameport work fine. I'm using a CH Flightstick Pro, & CH Pro Throttle gameport versions.
Even though I calibrate the joystick, & throttle within the game, the joystick will not center. It usally drifts hard to the upper, or lower corners. Adjusting the sticks physical trim controls will not help. The throttle calibrates fine. The joystick works fine with other DOS, & Windows games. I've tried using slowdown utilities in DOS thinking maybe the system is too fast (Athlon XP 3000+), but it doesn't help, and the game's speed seems fine without using a slowdown utility.
The game runs flawless except for this one problem. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Your PC seems like it could be fast enough. Have you tried running it in dosbox instead of booting off a floppy? Using the latest version and and setting the core to dynamic shoulld make the game more than playable.

Your PC seems like it could be fast enough. Have you tried running it in dosbox instead of booting off a floppy? Using the latest version and and setting the core to dynamic shoulld make the game more than playable.

Yeah. I have the latest DOSBox installed on my Athlon64 3800+, but when I try playing P2 it crashes as soon as I'm launched into space. I have tried installing the P2 Deluxe edition as well with the speed patch, but it crashes just like the DOS version does using DOSBox.
I have core set to Dynamic in DOSBox, but what about the cycles setting. What would be a good settng?

Back