Privateer 2 deluxe problem when launching.

Lt.Death100

Spaceman
I'll just cut right to the chase, It always happens, I've tryed changing the compatibility mode I even tried the DOS version on dosbox (didn't work because it didn't detect cd.). I have an onboard sound card so I don't think there should be a problem there. Thanks in advance.

For someone who was going to the chase, you managed to not tell us what the problem was. :) What always happens? This is what I was referring to in my PM. Does it lock up? Do you get some sound error? Screwy colors? We need this sort of information if we're going to figure out what's going on. Onboard sound cards are generally bad for compatibility, so that very much could be the problem. Did you try turning down the directx acceleration features? Getting Privateer 2 to detect the CD in DOSBox is easy. Did you follow our Tech Support guide? https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#p2

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisReid said:
For someone who was going to the chase, you managed to not tell us what the problem was. :) What always happens? This is what I was referring to in my PM. Does it lock up? Do you get some sound error? Screwy colors? We need this sort of information if we're going to figure out what's going on. Onboard sound cards are generally bad for compatibility, so that very much could be the problem. Did you try turning down the directx acceleration features? Getting Privateer 2 to detect the CD in DOSBox is easy. Did you follow our Tech Support guide? https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#p2
I knew I forgot something. It's the one where you launch and you hear the engine but the game doesn't play. I don't have an onboard sound card. I tried repairing the disc (to no avail) and I pressed the space-bar as recommended. What I haven't tried is the acceleration, can you tell me how to get to that in XP?

You can also prevent some crashes, lockups, and video problems by disabling DirectX 3D acceleration in the DXSETUP program. You might also be able to avoid problems by turning down your hardware acceleration. To adjust your hardware acceleration:

Click on the Windows 95 'START' button, then on 'Settings', then on 'Control Panel'.
Double-click on the 'System' icon in this window, then click on the 'Performance' tab at the top.
Click on the 'Graphics' button and then adjust your hardware acceleration to 'None'.
Click on 'OK', then on 'Close', and let Windows 95 restart your machine.
When you are back up to Windows 95, try to run the game.

Also type dxdiag in your run box and try disabling or enabling different effects. Have you tried copying space.iff, spacegeo.iff and spacetex.iff to Privateer 2's install directory?

ChrisReid said:
Also type dxdiag in your run box and try disabling or enabling different effects. Have you tried copying space.iff, spacegeo.iff and spacetex.iff to Privateer 2's install directory?
I'll try that dxdiag and I've already tryed copying that stuff there.

same here

I've been working on this same problem since last night.

First I was getting the "breakpoint reached" error until I tried that spyware thing.

Now when I launch I get a 'memory could not be "written"' error.
I run a tight ship on my computer, so i can taskman out of it, but I have 100% failure rate when trying to launch from Hermes.

I've manually configured the cfg file for the game controller (easy enough- low is 0, high is 255) and that didn't help either.

Tried turning off all hardware accelleration: that killed video performance in the cutscenes and on-planet, but still get the same crash when I launch.

Tried using the compatibility toolkit to create a patch. Again, no luck.

Has anyone actually beaten this problem?

I've already tried installing win95 using VMWare and doing it that way, but that has its own issues, and I haven't even gotten it to install properly yet.

Unregistered said:

Chris has recently had good success with P2 and dosbox. There are some settings and things that you'll have to ask him about

Unregistered said:

Not that I can recall off the top of my head. We have beaten the reverse: landing or initiating things on planet causing similar crashes, so most of our suggestions here are derivatives of that solution. Like Kilrathi Saga, the Win95 version of Priv 2 has a couple tricky issues like this that don't pop up in the DOS game. If you do have the original instead of P2 Deluxe, I'd recommend following my DOSBox walkthrough in the Tech Support Section.

I only have the deluxe version, and keep getting the breakpoint error when I launch from a planet using Windows XP. Is there ANYTHING I can do??

No Idea!!

But there seems to be quite a few of us out here praying that someone will. P2 was an interesting game...not the best but worth a rerun but i am not sure that I want to waste more time on it than I already have(4days nonstop).

*just a way to play*

I run a AMD Athlon XP-A 3300+, 2200 MHz with 2 Harddiscs, one works with XP, the other with Win98.

During the bootsequenz all I have to do is push the F11 key, to select the darkdrive witch I like to choose...

Only think to do first: remove my 1 GB ram and leave only the 512 MB inside the tower.

For the game itself I use the windowspatch (I have the old DOS-version of the game.)

It works perfect, no crashes so far.

Deacan

Master Katarn said:
Well, that's not really going to work with me, as I don't have the DOS version of the game at all, just the windows version.

The method that Deacon mentions uses the Windows version. He has one drive with XP and one with 98.

i found priv 2 lying around and ive got it to work on my new sys in xp pro X64 but i get the problem of changing disks.... yes i have emulation yes ive turned it off, i have the original disks from dos days but downloaded a patch for it to work on xp, no complaints until i try to use disk 2, ive tryed every key button and click i can, space bar does nothing and ive copyed all the movie files to the dir even changed the "insert.shp" and "cd" file thats on the 2nd cd to in the dir and still nothing... please help i loved this game and still do!!!

That could have to do with the 64 bit version of Windows. Do you have compatibility mode turned on? If you just use your original DOS discs, you can get the game working with our tech support walk through: https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#p2 Even if you don't like playing in DOSBox, it'd work well enough to get you through the disc change.

sorry but a little more help

ive tried the doxbox installation and isnt very fluid but as chris said its playable to get past the movies... one catch my joystick wont calabarate and i need to use this mode to get to kappa labs as its on disk 2 but no save point for me to bounce off to save a game copy it to the windows version and play further, ok my joystick is usb, logitech extreme 3d pro, under the windows version its fine but suspect directx is doing it so how does the windows version make it work so differently to dosbox?? dosbox version 0.65, and btw windows x64 is making no difference as i have xp media center to as to my previous post about disk changing. thanks chris if you know of anything in advance

DOSBox is really good at taking regular USB joysticks and making them work for your DOS games. If you haven't already, be sure to install the patch for the DOS version: ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/origin/patches/priv2/p2patch.exe Although keyboard input is not supported, you can also fly with the mouse.

One trick that might work is to grab and hold the joystick in the lower right corner before you click the Calibrate Joystick button. Then you move to the upper left and complete the calibration.

If you have the US version of the game, there are also premade joystick configuration files in the Joystick directory on the first disc. There should be a joystick.txt file included that explains how to use them.

hi ppl new member here, got privater to work on my xp system .got it to run intro np all the way up to the first bartender joe cutscene, it was then I remembererd that that movie scene was corupted on my old cds when i first used to play the game so my question is :

is there anywhere i an down load the file 47_S.TGV FROM THE MOVIES FOLDER ON cd1

or has anyone got a save gme just after that scene so i can skip the need for the scene at all ( and where to place the save game file as well)

or am i buggered and have to forgo playing the game or hunt around for a new copy ,,i know its the file thats buggered as i have tried to manually copy it to the cd and it gets halfway then says file corupt or damaged

so help !!!...is a good way to put it

Back