Privateer 2 and Windows 95

I recently acquired a copy of privateer 2, the MS-DOS CD-ROM version. I have a Pentium 166MHZ with Windows 95A that I use for playing the Kilrathi Saga, and felt like this would be the machine to use for playing Privateer 2.

Back in "the day" I bought the MS-DOS version of Wing Commander IV and was able to make it work on my Pentium 133MHZ with Windows 95A by simply using a boot disk. Anyone had similar luck with Privateer 2?

Just tell the executable of P2 to not detect windows and it should work fine.

Mystery muppet said:
What, doesn't P2 work with that??
... BigsWick, is there a problem in the first place? It doesn't manifest itself in your post.

No problem- yet. Maybe I should have been clearer in my original post: Basically I'm trying to do a bit of preemptive troubleshooting, and I thought I'd ask the experts. So, to elaborate:

Origin released a DOS and a Windows 95 version of Privateer 2. I recently purchased an unopened DOS version. The system requirements listed on the Privateer 2 box tend to suggest that the ideal (required?) setup for playing the DOS version of the game would be on a Pentium running a full version of DOS. I'm assuming I am correct on this- why else would Origin release another version specifically for Windows 95?

I had a similar experience with WC IV 10 or so years ago and was required to use a boot disk in order to play my DOS version of the game on a Windows 95 machine. Since I don't have a Pentium with an actual DOS program I'm asking if anyone knows if using a boot disk will be required for me to play the DOS version of Privateer 2 on a Windows 95 machine? Clear as mud?

So, I'm after confirmation of my theory. If I'm wrong, or if simply using a boot disk will solve my problem, great. Otherwise I might try to find a Windows 95 version of the game and sell my DOS version- still unopened. Any help/straightening out would be appreciated. Thanks.

As I said - P2 DOS won't work in Windows as long as P2 knows there is a windows present.
Or in other words P2 DOS is fully Windows compatible (not USB joystick compatible however I think), BUT they programmed in a check to prevent it to run in Windows.
You can however configure each DOS Windows/each PIF file in Win9x that it doesn't tell the DOS software that Windows is present. P2 works with this minor hack.

Back