Priv2

Lynx

Spaceman
I heard of a W95 version of Priv2. Is there a patch available for the dos version to get it running in Win?:confused:

Fraid not. There is a patch that helps to prevent the game from crashing when landing (although this still happened to me). However this does not make it playable in Win95.

Like you said, there is a version, I beleive is called Privateer 2 Gold, that you can run in Win95/98. I've never actually seen a copy of it though.

The native Win95 version is P2 "Deluxe Edition." While it runs under Win95 (and 98; don't know abt ME), it seems to lack a speed limiter so that it's unplayable on current high-end pc's without some kind of a cpu killer, like moslo.

This will instruct you on how to install and play P2 from within a DOS window (Full-screen).

First if you haven't already done so get the P2 Patch here:
https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml

Open My Computer and right click on the CD-ROM drive that P2 is in. Choose Explore than right click on the Install.exe file. Choose Properties > Program tab > Advanced button. Check the "Prevent ms-dos base programs from detecting Windows" box and uncheck the "Suggest MS-DOS mode as necessary" box. Click okay, okay. Now double click the Install.exe file. You can now auto-detect the sound card and install this game.

Now you must now do the P2 patch. Once this has been done, right click on the C:\DARK\DARK.EXE file and choose "Copy". On the Desktop right click and choose "Paste Shortcut". Now as before right click on the shortcut you just created. Choose Properties > Program tab > Advanced button. Check the "Prevent ms-dos base programs from detecting Windows" box and uncheck the "Suggest MS-DOS mode as necessary" box. Click okay, okay. You can now play P2 within a DOS window. No extra Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files needed.

Calibration:
While in flight mode hit "Alt-O". When you are in the calibration screen on the right there are instructions. Read them. You're supposed to get the square as small as possible without the ball going outside it. Use the - and + to decrease and increase the dead zone. I prefer my digital Joystick too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back