Priv1 Sound

Sandman

Spaceman
Hello again people,

I haven't gotten any replies from my last post regarding help with sound in Privateer1, and I'm guessing it's because I did not give enough information. I've been reading the other messages to try and get some insights, but I haven't been able to solve my problem as of yet. I've seen that people have tweaking with their autoxec.bat's and config.sys's on their systems or boot disks in order to play the game. I know this sounds weird, but I don't have a autoexec or config.sys file on my system, just a command.com. When I restart in dos mode, my computer doesn't recognize my cd rom drive and I can't get sound to work in anything. Can somebody help me change this? Just to reiterate, I have a p3 450 with 128 ram and I'm running on win98 SE. My sound card is some no name sb clone, and I'm using the disk version of priv1. I've already been able to play priv1 without sound or music, but I'd ideally like to be able to have them available.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated because I really miss playing this incredible classic.

thanks

I didn't have any startup files either. I'd recommend a pure DOS boot, not a "Restart in MS-DOS mode" from Windows, anyway.

Do you know if you have any DOS drivers for your CD-ROM? Actually, some find it simpler - and you might do this yourself - to copy the TRE files from the CD to your hard drive, and modify the CFG files in your PRIVATER directory. Try it.

hello again,

thank you for the quick response. I'm afraid I might sound dumb again, because I'm not very experienced with modifying and tweaking files.

How do you go about doing a pure dos boot? Is there a way to do this in setup after pushing del while booting up? Or is a boot disk required? I guess I'm basically asking how to stop win98 from loading and work from dos from the get go, rather than shutting down and restarting from dos mode. I'd rather try this first to see if it works so that I can avoid altering my .cfg files. If this method is unsucessfull, then I'll start checking if I have dos drives for my cd rom and making changes to my priv .cfg files.

Thanks again

Use a bootdisk (format a: /s) or press F8 when you see the blinking cursor (before the Windows 98 screen shows up) and select "Command prompt only".

I gotta go, I'm sure John or someone will be able to help you more thoroughly.

hey just use your edit.com from your system to edit your priv.cfg. this is what it looks like before... =D:priv.tre and this is what you should put it as... =c:\privater\priv.tre do the same thing with rf.cfg and after that you need copy the priv.tre and rf.tre to your privater directory. the last step you need to do is open up your autoexec.bat and config.sys and put rem in front of the line that make your cd-roms to work. this is a nice trick for you to get that much needed memory for the game. as far as the sound, good luck as i am still trying to get mine to work. if you need help with making a valid boot disk, just go to control panel and go to add/remove programs. the third tab is a startup disk maker (bootdisk). all you have to do is go to my links and look at my bootdisks, they should work for you. make your autoexec.bat and config.sys look like mine (except the sound part) and you'll do ok. also youll need to find certain files and put them on you new boot disk. if you still need help the post.

thank you for your reply.

The only problem is that I don't have an autoexec or config sys to work with, I just have a command com. I can restart my computer in dos, and by way of a boot disk, but I just can't get the sound to play. But this isn't just with priv1, every other game and app I have doesn't have sound available to it. I need to get my computer to recognize my sound card in dos. This is because I've already had priv1 play, but only when I select the no sound effects or music options. Can you help me with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Sandman

creating an autoexec.bat and config.sys is simple enough: in windows, open up notepad and copy any one of the autoexec.bat's found in this board (mine is in the post started by me). then when you save it, save it as "autoexec.bat" (without the quatations, of course). as well, any one of the autoexec.bat's that you copy into yours will have to be changed to make it specific to your machine. the same should go for the config.sys. just make a file of the same name using notepad. hopefully this will get you on the road to wonderful dos sound! let me know if this makes sense.

styles

hey guys!

good news. I finally got sound to work without the need of a bootdisk in priv 1...I just took my sound card cd and copied the dos drivers to my hard drive. That's all it took! I can't believe it was that easy. I feel like such a dolt to not have figured it out earlier. I'm just posting now to thank everybody that was kind enough to help me.

thanks guys. I'm going to spend some time in Priv1 now...

Back