Priv/WC2 problems

Tachy15

Spaceman
Ok, I just got Priv and WC2, so I figured I would try and play Priv first. So anyway, I install it, and then I copy the rf and priv .tres into the Privater folder and edited the .cfgs right, then I tried playing. The sound was very loud (ok but annoying) but it was real staticy, so I came here and did a search, and someone said to add a line to the config.sys (I believe that was it) and this corrected the sound problems. When people spoke in the intro, it didn't sound like a cat's claws on chalk board :) However, if I let the intro play, it freezes and plays a low pitched hum. It also happens if I play for a while. I was fighting off some religious freaks (no offense) and it just froze. Any idea what is going wrong? The speed and everything was fine.

My system specs are:
Asus A7V MoBo, T-bird 1GHz CPU, 128 MB PC-133 Ram, Geforce II mx, and a Soundblaster Live! Value sound card.

All help would be appreciated!

What's this? A new problem?

Sounds to me like it might have something to do with your sound setup; possibly faulty drivers or an incorrect IRQ specification. Can't say much more than that right now.

its probably the sound card, PCI cards cause so many problems especially in older games, you best bet is to buy a 486

Privateer is the pickiest game I've ever played - although I don't have it to test since I got my PCI sound card to replace the 1994 SB AWE32.

WC2 and WCA both do speech, MIDI, and sfx perfectly (Yamaha DS-XG, $15 card).

Get a 486, they're fun for doing lots of things, even WC1 if you use moslo on a liberal setting.

You'll get used to the retros after a while. ;-)

BTW: the line you added to config.sys...was it SET BLASTER=? or is that autoexec.bat...

[Edited by dreddnott on 02-15-2001 at 04:26]

Hah! There is one game that beats out all other games in terms of pickiness, and that is Ultima 7: The Black Gate (not to mention Ultima 7, pt 2: The Serpent Isle). This has its own expanded memory manager that conflicts with EMM386, which is required for Windows to run. This means that it is quite impossible to play the game in Windows. Furthermore, the SBLive! DOS drivers refuse to work without EMM386, resulting in a soundless experience for anyone with a PCI card from Creative Labs.

There have been some fan efforts to get the game working in Windows, including two separate attempts to recreate the game engine in a Windows executable format that is capable of using the original data files. Too bad nobody's doing that with Privateer....

Back