Priv Re Controversy

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
If this is in the wrong place, I apologize, but I wanted the scoop from everyone i could get it.

As many of you are aware, I'm new to Privateer. I just beat the original two days ago (thanks for all your help btw). Anyway, I've been hearing a lot of people around here slamming some kind of privateer remake called gemini gold... being the curious person I am, i had to try it... It has flaws... more then it should, but all in all, I didn't think it was that bad a game, certainly not up to the original, and no where near standoff's level of tech, but still not bad. So i was just wondering why everyone seems to hate it so much, as it even has its own slot on the site.

No, GG is not what catches the heat. What is looked down on as a cheap knock off is the remake called "Privateer Remake". Gemini Gold spun off of PR, with the goal of fixing the numerous problems with PR that make PR look like little more than an attempt to cash in on name recognition for "Privateer".

I'd like to hear more people's opinions about the problems of this remake. Someone has mentioned mixing eras or something?

What really are th issues

It's not especially interesting - it's the same fandom drama you can find in any community.

The 'original' Privateer Remake was a pretty crummy project. It was a quick and messy conversion of the 'Vega Strike' flight engine. Vega Strike was originally a Wing Commander fan project. Its creator, HellcatV, is one of those obnoxious wannabe-internet-celebrities - he turned the game into a generic space shooter when he realized he couldn't make it big with a fan game and then an 'open source' flight engine when he decided that particular next-big-thing would get him press.

Years later he made a big to-do about redoing cult-classic Privateer so that anyone could play it. A noble goal, but it turned out to be resume-building PR crap for him... the actual project was gross, full of barely-3D models, original 320x200 artwork simply resized to modern resolutions and altered 'fanboy' gameplay. Even worse, instead of reworking his lauded 'open source' engine to work with Privateer he simply left out any game mechanic that didn't slide into the previous setup.

We don't like the Privateer Remake because it's some college student taking Origin's game design, artwork, name, etc. in order to sell himself in the industry - and the game itself sucks because of this. In short, the Privateer Remake was like one of those big Hollywood movies - a lot more effort and expense went into making sure their press release got around than was ever put into the finished product. Luckily, DOSBox rendered the *need* for a 'new' Priateer mute... and another team, Gemini Gold, took the 'open' Privateer (a joke, of course - since nobody can legally own a Privateer remake) and has been working for quite some time to make it match the possibilities behind the original release.

No, GG is not what catches the heat. What is looked down on as a cheap knock off is the remake called "Privateer Remake". Gemini Gold spun off of PR, with the goal of fixing the numerous problems with PR that make PR look like little more than an attempt to cash in on name recognition for "Privateer".

Ah ok, my bad...

Back