Priv and WC2...

I think my problems are lack of expanded memory, because no configuration for music and sound work.
frown.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that; you don't need expanded memory just to get sound. Are you getting any error messages? Expanded memory lets you have better music, but I think you still have some without it.

I've tried every configuration available and I've gotten zip. Even in the install screen it says: You need expanded memory in order to hear music. <--- That's what it says.

------------------

Oh.

Well, in that case, the EMM386.EXE line in your config.sys should do it nicely. What does your config.sys look like (the one you're using for the game)?

Hang on a second...

Here:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE I=B000-B7FF RAM 3072
DOS=HIGH
DOS=UMB
FILES=25
BUFFERS=25
LASTDRIVE=K
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:GEM001

------------------

Okay. You need a forward slash "/" in front of the I=B000-B7FF bit so that it looks like /I=B000-B7FF. Also, it wouldn't hurt to change 3072 to 16384.

<agitated groan> I'm beginning to think I'll never have sound for WC2.

As you can probably guess, that didn't work.
frown.gif

------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got the same (or similar) problem. I need to free up some of my base memory (that 640k that you never know what it's used by). Im trying, but QAplus shows an 80k block taken up by "system". I need that 80k, but dont know how to free it.

Well, you can always ditch your CD-ROM drivers. That'll probably provide more than enough.

Chernikov: give me the output of the MEM /C command. To get it, reboot in DOS using the configuration you want for WC2, and type

MEM /C > MEM.TXT

You won't see any output, but a file called MEM.TXT will be created in whatever directory you were in that has the info I need. Post the contents of that file in your next message.

k, got the game running with sound and speech (finally got a HD setup working) and killed the the CD drivers. Now I need control - I have a mouse (c:\windows\system\mouse.drv I think) and a Sidewinder Pro (incl. analog mode) but I cant get either working in DOS. Ive tried simply typing the driver string in the autoexec file, but I get an error message. You've been very helpful so far, and thank you.

By the way, I think the PC gamer WC sound problem was just my CD. Has anyone else tried running it on a 6x or slower drive?

6x?? Well, that may just be part of your sound problem right there!

As for the mouse: .drv drivers will not work in DOS; they're designed for Windows. I have no idea how it gets into people's autoexecs, but somehow it does. Search for a DOS mouse driver; should be labelled MOUSE.COM or MOUSE.EXE or something else along those lines. If you don't find one, I have one that should work.

I could use that mouse driver. Still trying to get the joystick working. My DOS directory was erased quite some time ago.

Got it. For one brief, shining moment WC2 was working at full extension. Then- I just barely fell short of needed RAM. almost got it though - thanx to all.

Stinger: Give me more information about ditching the CD ROM drivers. How do I go about doing that?

------------------

Wait a second...

I notice now that some parts of my WC2 move a little fast, such as the title, the Origin orchestra at the beginning, and the autopilot screen thing, but other parts, like the regular cutscenes, move at a relatively normal pace.

Could this be a problem as well?

------------------

call me crazy, but I think theyre supposed to move at that speed. something with the endings and the music synching well

Actually, those are just the places where they didn't bother to use a frame limiter. You're talking DOS version here, right?

Back