Price of Freedom Movie

I thought they did match up in aspect ratio...... I took a long long time to get them matching. The thing that happened that screwed it up was I, for some reason put a brightness increase on everything, so what actually happened was on the fmv, the black bars didn't match with your computer's black aroiund them, but when spaceflight started, it did, that is probably what happened, because I'm pretty sure the ratios match, but I will check again.

Ok, here's an idea for you guys to give me feedback on. I want to tie all these movies (3,4 and Prophecy) together as best I can. That means I have to go with the "Hawk" ending in 4. However, I wondered if you guys thought it may be possible to first show the flight instructor ending, then a "two years later" or something, and then show hawk's ending, implying that he couldn't stay away and confed needed him.

What do you think about that?

I like that idea, we would still get the good ending and get an explination for why Blair doesn't really fly anymore in Prophecy.

Ok, here's an idea for you guys to give me feedback on. I want to tie all these movies (3,4 and Prophecy) together as best I can. That means I have to go with the "Hawk" ending in 4. However, I wondered if you guys thought it may be possible to first show the flight instructor ending, then a "two years later" or something, and then show hawk's ending, implying that he couldn't stay away and confed needed him.

It's certainly possible to integrate bits from both endings, but I don't think it has to be necessary to use Hawk's ending to flow into Prophecy. At the end of WC4, Blair is on the Intrepid, but he's in a Confed flight suit talking about how he's not a farmer anymore.

I agree, but it seems to suggest he's a flight instructor, since panther says her line about shaking down the newbies. Whereas in prophecy, he's suddenly a commodore, with a new ship commisioned (The Midway). I just thought it'd make more sense for his to finish 4 as an admiral, so it seems like he moved up the chain of command to Commodore.

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree, but it seems to suggest he's a flight instructor, since panther says her line about shaking down the newbies. Whereas in prophecy, he's suddenly a commodore, with a new ship commisioned (The Midway). I just thought it'd make more sense for his to finish 4 as an admiral, so it seems like he moved up the chain of command to Commodore.

Commodore is below Admiral.

Thanks LOAF. Feel silly not remembering that.

Then why is Blair a commodore in prophecy? I got the impression from looking around the forums here that the "correct" ending is the one with Hawk, not with panther. at least that's the one prophecy followed up on.

No, not at all -- the Admiral ending is decidedly meant by the game to be the 'wrong' one... Blair has simply replaced Tolwyn, down to the same Nazi-styled uniform, broodingly lit office and control over his own private Black Lance army.

In all likelyhood, Prophecy follows the middle ground ending from the novelization -- Blair becomes a Brigadier General onboard the Intrepid (B. Gen. being the Space Forces equivalent of a Naval Commodore).

Ok, makes sense. In that case I'll probably just stick with the "happy" ending.

And I couldn't get rid of that ending, because who doesn't love seeing Paladin telling Maniac to shut up. :)

UPDATE! ~~~

as you may have seen from my cockpit thread, I'm back and ready to work on this project. I've obviously solved the widescreen problems, hopefully if I can clutter up the cockpit with enough modeled instruments, I'll be able to leave the capture footage at the original 640x480 resolution and just expand it to fill the empty space. If not, I'll need you guys to tell me if the widescreen conversion I made looks too weird.

Also, hopefully later today I'll bel able to post a video of the first mission with the in progress cockpit overlay so you guys can tell me if the editing is good bad or whatever. My project will probably be decidedly longer than Queeg's, but I don't want to go over 2:30. 2:00 would be nice, but I'm just not sure yet.

Also I still need a way to host this thing, and I want to release an xvid with ac3 audio and a dvd version, probably single layer, though I'd like DL, it's probably too big and most people don't just have dl dvds laying around to burn to.

I appreciate all the comments and look forward to completing this project! :D

Well first of all, congratulations to you for having a go at the most demanding of all WC fan projects. Well I'm not sure how demanding but you have my support for at least trying.

If I can make some suggestions:

You shouldn't make the movie too short. 2 hours proved to be too disjointed if you read Queeg's thread carefully. This movie deserves to not have anything cut, because basically every scene improves the overal experience. If you end up cutting cool stuff, there's the risc the movie will be an editorial mess. You should make a version of at least 2:30. Longer is preferred, of course but this is only my point of view as a fan of the game/movie.

Also, I don't see the need for a DVD-style encoding as the XVid + AC3 version of Queeg's project worked splendidly. Not once I noticed I was watching lower than DVD-quality. Even the sound is incredible. And it'll help you a lot for bandwidth issues if you scratch the DVD.

So, keep up the good work and I'll be looking forward to your finished project.

Cheers.

yeah, I just don't have the capability to host a torrent, because my computer is connected through a router used my many people, and torrenting seem to incredibly slow down or kill the internet speed for everyone. I really don't want to fork out any cash for internet space if I can help it.

Anyone who could help seed the torrent would be greatly appreciated. I could put a link to megaupload or something and someone could download and then make the torrent from there.

Also, I'm not really planning on cutting anything I can help, I just haven't gotten into enough of the footage to see how long it will be, but I did read queeg's thread and am taking all the advice i see there.

Thanks again for the comment!

Alright guys, I've worked hard, and I've got a (very) rough cut of the first mission for you. There's a lot of aspect ratio switching, because a lot of the cockpit overlays aren't there yet, that stuff takes a lot of time to do, I really just want to hear what you think of the editing, shot choices etc. None of that will change, just everything will look widescreen and all the overlays will be there in the end.

First Mission Rough Cut

Well I'm loving the new widescreen cockpit mousey :). The first mission looks great as well, lots of fast cutting.

Thanks Queeg! Nice to know a long standing member of the community likes what I'm doing. :D

Question, I haven't had the time to download your wc4 movie, as torrents don't agree with my router, but I was wondering if you experienced any framerate problems capturing your ingame footage, drags or random artifacts, anything. If you did, is there any way to get around it? I'm using DOSBOX btw because my computer won't support FRAPS well, it takes me down to 9 fps on wc4.

Thanks Queeg! Nice to know a long standing member of the community likes what I'm doing. :D

Question, I haven't had the time to download your wc4 movie, as torrents don't agree with my router, but I was wondering if you experienced any framerate problems capturing your ingame footage, drags or random artifacts, anything. If you did, is there any way to get around it? I'm using DOSBOX btw because my computer won't support FRAPS well, it takes me down to 9 fps on wc4.

Ah I wouldn't bother with my current WC4 film anyway, once the directors cut is complete I will look for places to upload rather than just torrents.

Yes indeed, I am using the DVD version though so I don't run it in dosbox. I use CamStudio to capture using FFDshow (then xvid in the settings) codec. After compramising the settings I get about 21fps, thats recording WC4 in a window since fullscreen capture doesn't work. So you can try recording Dosbox using camstudio although Dosbox sucks up a lot juice so I don't know if it will work as well. I didn't notice too much frame lag in the video you posted.

So in short using this method I don't get lag anymore, I did get quite a lot of framedrops with Dosbox when capturing WC3 so I'm not sure what to suggest. Unless you could use wing commander saga or clips from the homeworld mod, thats quite wishful thinking though :rolleyes: . Anyway I'm just rambling now so I'll just say good luck I'm sure you'll figure something out :).

Back