Preferred WC Controllers!

The Punisher

Spaceman
What controllers does everone like to use. I actually just started playing WC again after years and years away from it and I never got to use a controller. (I didn't play it that much on computer before. I had WCIII for 3DO, for which I had a thrustmaster) Anyway I am now rebuilding my WC Collection + Privateer 2. Only thing left to arrive is a WCIII Origin Guide and WCIII the game! Got everything else. I've played WCIII and WC4, but I ran through WC4 using invincibility cause I had it on a computer that wasn't fast enough and it crashed all the time.
Anyway I went out in anticipation of all my WC stuff and got the "Microsoft Sidewinder Prescion 2" From what I understood it was pretty much the best thing out there at this time. I didn't need anything that mimicked F-16's or anything like that but I wanted something decent.
Well I have to say I am not all that happy with it. Maybe it's because the first game I tried to play was Privateer 2 without CPUkiller so it was at the speed of light.
Maybe some of you can understand how irritating it is to salavate waiting for your first WC type game to arrive in the mail and finally getting it after builing a brand new $1400 computer and buying a new joystick especially for said games and then have that game, the only game that will arrive yet for a couple of more works run at the speed of light so you can hardly play it........Jeez it was frustrating.

Anyway enough about my life storey, I just wanted to know what everyone's Preffered controller was and why they like it so much.

Later

"FREEZE, CREEP!"

THE PUNISHER!

[This message has been edited by The Punisher (edited November 07, 2000).]

Well, I started my Wing Commander days (WC1 in fact) with a highly advanced Gamestick. This untra efficent controller had a small stick with TWO buttons. Plus its base was so small I had to hold it in my hands and use my left pinky to hit buttons on the keyboard. Until very recently I have been enjoying my MS 3D Pro which is a great stick and lasted me several years of intense flight sims. Unfort, recently it broke or wore out and now I can only play NASCAR games with it as it cannot turn to the right. And since I hate NASCAR, its really useless. But I never had a problem with it and nearly 5 years of service from any joystick is good.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Hmmm... Unlike most people here, I think, I don't really care what my joystick is as long as I have one. But anyway, I only have two WC games which joystick control works with anyway. For P2 I use something called a RaiderPro and for Prophecy I use a neato Wingman Digital 3D.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Well I've never used anything other than the trusty old keyboard. I mean, that's what they use in Privateer!
smile.gif
(check the cockpit)

And someone will come along and say that the mouse is the best. Can't remember who, I'm sure they'll turn up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the absolute best Joystick in the world. Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro. The only bad thing is that WC doesn't use force feedback :-( . If you can think of a better controller i'd like to hear it.

And someone will come along and say that the mouse is the best. Can't remember who, I'm sure they'll turn up.
I'm not here, I have no plans to turn up, and you can't make me.

Hang on...

I have to go with the keyboard...mainly because i have no joystick, and the mouse...well...if i use the mouse, i might as well just use the keyboard...much easier to be pressing lots of controls, as i do, at the same time...unlike the joystick where double click was it? is afterburners and if u click your shoot button, it would more or less make you fire a missile, and you don't wanna do that when u don't wanna do that...
did i just repeat myself?

If I get you correctly, StarLight, I have the same problem, particularly while playing WC3. If I wanted to afterburn, I'd fire a missile, if I wanted to fire a missile, I'd start a barrel roll and so on. Call me a spaz if you will.
wink2.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

The SW Precision Pro 2 is an overpriced piece of crap compated to the original SW PP, IMO. It's more expensive, and doesn't fell nowhere near as good as my old Sidewinder, and the button layour, while still practical shouldn't have been changed.

And having said that, SW Precision Pro is the best stick I've ever used. I had it for two years, and it works great in all of my games except Priv, for obvious reasons.

Ice Viper, the FF efects on that stick are great, but you can get practicly the same stick for half the price. So IMO the Precision Pro withoug force feedback would be better, especially since like you mentioned WC doesn't support it.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited November 08, 2000).]

Quarto said:
I'm not here, I have no plans to turn up, and you can't make me.

Hang on...

Ah, Q. I knew it was you! No point in going over the same argument twice, huh?
smile.gif

SW 3D Pro, version 1.0

I considered changing to the precision/force feedback sticks, but after I tried them (and seeing how much "feedback" you got) I decided to stick with it. 5 years plus, and when (if) it breaks, im taking a look at the Saitek sticks - X35 and X36. Anyone use them/

I am inclined to agree with you EARTHWORM. My SW P2 drives me nuts sometimes because the movement of the stick isn't constant. It's really easy when it's close to the middle and a little harder the farther out you get.

Like I said I started it with SuperSonic Privateer 2 so I could be just predisposed to disliking it. But I might end up looking for some reviews on cnet and then seeing if i can get one off of ebay or something for cheap. I paid around $50 for my SW P2 and I can't take it back so I will have to figure something out. But now that I have the buttons programmed it's all good in the area.

Does your SW P1 have programmable buttons, and where are the buttons located?

"UPHOLD THE LAW"

THE PUNISHER!

My favorite joystick for WC...

The Logitech Wingman Attack.

I got this thing for $16, which is really good for joysticks these days. I haven't been let down at all. It works especially well if you tell the WC game that you're using a Thrustmaster. Why? I'll tell you why.

The Wingman Attack has four buttons - a trigger, and three buttons atop the joystick. I have uses for the trigger and really one of the buttons, but there are uses for all of them if you are ingenuous enough.

The buttons are as follows for me:

Button 1: Trigger. Fires weapons.
Button 2: It doesn't do anything, unless you hold it down. If you move the joystick, you roll, or speed up, or slow down. If you press the trigger, you fire a missile.
Button 3: Fires missiles. You don't know the value of this button until you've had one.
Button 4: Targets the nearest ship and locks onto it. This helps in WC4 a LOT when you are flying in the missions where your sensors are messed because of the jamming cap ship.

While I don't usually use button 2, this joystick is quality, and it's got a very good price. I personally recommend it.

------------------

§

I used to play WC games using only keyboard and/or mouse for a very long time, until I recently decided to buy a cheap joystick to see what it would feel like. It improved my kill rate and flying skills considerably until it broke and I decided to buy a slightly more advanced 4-button Dexxa joystick.

Ice Viper said:
I use the absolute best Joystick in the world. Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro. The only bad thing is that WC doesn't use force feedback :-( . If you can think of a better controller i'd like to hear it.

If you're talking FF sticks, a Wingman Force. Beats the hell out of a Sidewinder, just for the plain and simple comfortable factor. There is not stick more comfortable to hold than a Wingman.

Saturnyne: Hey, if you have hte programmable Wingman software, set it up and you can change that button two to something more useful, since controlling speed, roll, and missles sucks when having to use it. either use it for a wingman command, like attack for form up, or have it switch guns or missles, or capship componets, that's nice if you're doing the bomber thing
smile.gif

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

I agree completely. :) Thing is, whenever I install the software, it says I don't have any Wingman joysticks plugged in...

My favorate joystick has to be my MS Sidewinder Precision Pro. It can do everything, except be used in DOS. For DOS games, I usea WingMan Extreme or a generic 'stick, which ever is working at the time.

Joystick...

I've been using the CH Flightstick Pro since I've been playing DOS games, and it still didn't break. It even got whacked on the floor once and survived (though I can hear something plastic loose inside) and works perfect, except for some dumb games that don't have any sort of deadzone configuration.

I'm still using Microsoft Sidewinder with TWO buttons and throttle. It works fine with Prophecy and SO, but its very inaccurate with older WC games.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
I agree completely. :) Thing is, whenever I install the software, it says I don't have any Wingman joysticks plugged in...

Hm....if Windoze recognizes it, then it should pick it up. There's a few settings to play with in there, plus some other BS that I had to go through to get mine to work, but hte software works like a charm. My Extreme Digital rocks. 6 buttons, 4 are useful, plus the 4 way hat. Since I never used the side and rear views all that much, it and button two got reprogrammed. I can control every necessary function with it.

Back