PR 1.0: Talking turrets

S

SixGun

I managed to work up the cash to buy and kit out a milspec Centurion. Stripped and sold the rustbucket Tarsus to do so, as the Cent is the ship to be seen in. :)
Anyway, on an insystem bounty mission I put the turret into fire at will mode, as one of the pirates managed to get on my tail. I killed the guy in my sights, the turret finishes it's target a couple of seconds later, then to my surprise the turret says, "I'de watch your back if I were you." WTF??
The turret keeps giving me random advice from time to time until I turn it off.

Maybe the turrets don't come with a free pair of fuzzy dice, but they sure seem to come with chatty gunners who work for peanuts and attempt to be back-seat pilots. :)

Are you sure there wasan't any other mercs in system?
That sounds like when I pick up chatter from other fights going on in system.

If not, stock up on your peanuts....;>

Starblazer

No, I'm sure the HUD message read 'turretrear_meson' or something to that effect each time the 'gunner' had something to say.
Note to self: Purchase a crate of Planters before heading out. :)

I haven't seen anything like this for a long time, but I can believe it. We used to have a problem with turrets scanning us for cargo. That's been fixed, but something similar could be causing this (though it's weird that it doesn't happen here)

Fire at will acts as if it has its own pilot---this is the reason we disabled it about 3 years ago ;-) but it's a useful option

Cntrl-T (turret attack target) is best to avoid such silliness

I'm not clear, from the readme, whether Ctrl-T will continue to automatically acquire targets as one selects new targets from the front-facing controls, or whether it will only fire at the one original target. And I'm not sure how to verify that it works. I press Ctrl-T after I leave a base, but whenever I'm in a dogfight I switch to the turret and I see nothing there, in the way of enemies.

In any case, how does one get the "fire at will" mode? It sounds interesting.

CTRL-T will only fire at one opponent. CTRL-W is fire at will. CTRL-R is stop shooting.

I have noticed the talking turrets too.

A quick check on your turrets is to jump to an external view to see if they are tracking. Not a very elegant way of doing things, but it works.

Still in 1.0 the turrets like to go offline by themselves even in the middle of the fight, I see... First thing I press Ctrl-T to activate them and then Ctrl-W to make them shoot at every hostile but then at some point they'll just stop. It's totally nerve-wrecking when I'm in a tough spot and at the same time those damn turrets start striking...

With ctrl-w they will quit sometimes, such as when there are no more enemies. If more show up you have to prompt the turrets to get going again. Might be changed, but until then you get to live without total automation ;)

Well there certainly were enemies at close range every time those turrets have turned themselves off so it can't be "no more enemies"... Wouldn't be such a big problem if I could clearly see/hear when my turrets are offline. Now I'll have to tap Ctrl-t/w once for awhile just in case if those buggers have fallen asleep again.

I think what is happening to make the turrets seem to turn off is the turret is simply targeting an enemy too far away too shoot at. I have noticed this happenes sometimes. You can tell which target the turrets are aiming at by looking to see which target has a + shaped crosshair.

My guess is that it is the same problem with the 'h' key. The documentation says it is
supposed to give the the closest hostile, but it doesn't seem to work that way in practice. I'm betting that the same function call that the 'h' key uses is used by the turrets to get a target. Fixing the "target nearest hostile" function will probably fix both problems. This is just an educated guess, though, not having looked at the source for it.

A cheap fix is to give turrets short radar range (say 5000, a little bit beyond where guns can reach). Better yet give each turret radar range equal to its guns. I just tried it and it MOSTLY works.

Back