Possible bugs... discuss

fyodor

Spaceman
Instead of spamming the bugs-list (sticky'd), please discuss *possible* bugs in other threads, e.g. this one. Here are a couple of oddities I've noticed, but won't go so far as to characterize as bugs (or "canon-deviations") yet.

Armor
The damage percentage is incorrectly calculated. E.g. take a nice big hit (say an asteroid at max velocity) to a single side and "percent working" is given as "10.00". Clearly, if only one side is hit, at least 75% should still be working. Presumably this affects repair costs...

Demons
Someone with the ability to do so, please check the performance characteristics of Demons. According to the data in units.csv, the Demon should be anywhere between 10% and 100% faster than the Centurion in performing 360deg change in roll or pitch (10% if the relevant number is the "Governor" figure, given in deg/s and 100% if the relevant number is the maneuver figure, given in kg*deg/s²). My stopclock measurement of the *AI* performing an end-over-end roll indicates a difference of around 1000% in favor of the Demon.

Cargo checks
Cargo checks seem to take quite long (anyone able to check how long it took in the original) and I've also been checked *a lot* of times in succession. Earlier today, I was being checked by three different ships at the same time. I don't recall that ever happening in the original (and it's a pain if you're actually trying to fight while all this checking is going on).`

Damage "direction"
There seems to be a problem with the engine and determining which of the 4 sides are actually hit. I've thundered head first into an asteroid and had it take out my rear shield. I've had enemies located to my right hitting my left shields, I've had enemies located in front of me hit my rear shield.
I've thundered head first

fyodor said:
Armor
The damage percentage is incorrectly calculated. E.g. take a nice big hit (say an asteroid at max velocity) to a single side and "percent working" is given as "10.00". Clearly, if only one side is hit, at least 75% should still be working. Presumably this affects repair costs...

i think this engine handles armor as an overall thing, rather than the original's four-facings handling. which can be a pain, because you can no longer keep a damaged side away from enemy. on the plus side, they can't do it to you either.

warlock said:
i think this engine handles armor as an overall thing, rather than the original's four-facings handling. which can be a pain, because you can no longer keep a damaged side away from enemy. on the plus side, they can't do it to you either.
I've seen this said in other places as well, but I'm not sure I quite understand it. When I take a huge hit on one side, I can *see* it take a notch out of my armor. I can *see* if it penetrates to the hull. This by simply looking at the shield/armor/ship display always visible. So you're saying that the damage caused by the hit actually took out my shield on that side + 90% of *all* my armor, even if it still looks like my armor is perfectly in tact on the other three sides?

basically, to the repair screen, 10% is not overall percentage of armor remaining, but worst damage to armor - ie at the weakest point, the armor is 90% gone.

Back