Popular science fiction phases

A collective like the Star Trek Borg or Stargate SG-1 Replicators would be hella-cool to see in Wing Commander. Perhaps in a time slightly after The Darkening.

What the hell was 'The Darkening' anyway (No, I don't mean the obvious answer, 'Privateer 2').

I don't think copying technology from other sci-fi universes is a good idea.

And The Darkening is a WC game.

/me kicks Wedge :p

If 'copying' isn't a good idea, then nothing but Star Trek OS would be around.
No, seriously, I like the idea of a parasitic race a few hundred years ahead of WC.

Originally posted by akashra
A collective like the Star Trek Borg or Stargate SG-1 Replicators would be hella-cool to see in Wing Commander.

Aren't you forgetting something? A little game called "Wing Commander: Prophecy"?

There was a collective...OF BUGS

Originally posted by redwolf

Aren't you forgetting something? A little game called "Wing Commander: Prophecy"?

There was a collective...OF BUGS

We don't really know if the bugs were a collective. The bugs could be just like us...just bugs. Or they very well could be a collective.

I forget their name, but this refers to Fleet Action. The Kilrathi were bulding their dreadnaughts on the opposite side of their space, the part not bordering the Confederation. It was space that used to belong to another species they had conquered long ago. This was an insectoid race(I think) that had collective minds(I think) and had never discovered jump gate technology and used colony ships were generations would go by before they arrived at their destination. Their name started with an H or something.

Originally posted by Wildshot
I forget their name, but this refers to Fleet Action. The Kilrathi were bulding their dreadnaughts on the opposite side of their space, the part not bordering the Confederation. It was space that used to belong to another species they had conquered long ago. This was an insectoid race(I think) that had collective minds(I think) and had never discovered jump gate technology and used colony ships were generations would go by before they arrived at their destination. Their name started with an H or something.

Did we ever really know anything about the Hari? I thought they were just sort of vaguely mentioned as being conquered by the Kilrathi.

By that definition of the Nephilim being a collective, Humans and Kilrathi would also be considered a collective.

I was thinking more along the lines of a race that thought all as one, as one giant think tank.

Whats weird to me is EA decides to give us the Nephilim when they could've used the repeatedly mentioned and much-feared Mantu instead. Admittedly, EA probably wouldn't make them as cool as they should be but still... ;)

Originally posted by akashra
By that definition of the Nephilim being a collective, Humans and Kilrathi would also be considered a collective.

I was thinking more along the lines of a race that thought all as one, as one giant think tank.

So you want the Borg....in WC? I think the Nephilim are fine. Everything is done for the (queen? hive?), and no individuals really matter.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

Did we ever really know anything about the Hari? I thought they were just sort of vaguely mentioned as being conquered by the Kilrathi.

"Fleet Action" tells us that the Hari came to visit the Kilrathi in peace, shared their technology & wisdom w/ Kilrah (including the science of space flight), and were promptly (or at least eventually) thanked for it by the Kilrathi by being conquered & vanquished.

Hey, wait--that kinda sounds reminiscent of Netscape Communications, don't it?...:(

Yes, but while the Nephilim do their actions for their queen or hive, just as the Kilrathi did whatever for their emperor, they still think as individuals...
The Replicators and Borg do not - as I said, one giant think-tank.

Ladiesman^: No, the ST novels are not fan fiction. :) My stories about the USS Midway, captained by Maynard D. Holland, are fan fiction, not the ST novels.

But I also didn't like how Corran Horn suffered such an ignominious personal defeat in Stackpole's last Star Wars novel (for now), most likely because he didn't want anyone else to carry on with the character.

Actually, Corran figures prominently in the Edge of Victory duology by Greg Keyes.

We see Lando, too, which is good. Rebirth actually fills in a lot of plot holes in the NJO.

How do we evn know the Nephilum do things for a queen. I didnt even know there was a Nephilum queen until LOAF posted those pictures from the Syd Mead book.

Back