Pop or Soda?

I live in the middle of soda country. Upon visiting Canada one time, I was asked if I would like a pop. It took a second or three before I knew what the heck he was talking about. Canadians are weird - eh?

I don't believe there is a difference.

Yeah, that chart seems pretty accurate as fas as I know. Here in Utah we've always called it pop. Or as I call it, fizzy shitty sugar water. Go coffee!

Welcome to the internet! On your left you'll see the Pop vs. Soda debate. Coming up on your right is the Mr. T Ate My Balls site... and now if you'll follow me we'll move right along to 1996.

For my part I say the name of the drink.
Speaking of weird things on the internet, I won't even mention the news I received from CNN, "Rhino Has Sex With Car". :eek:

I´m pretty sure about the origins of "coke", "soda" and "other", but where does "pop" come from? The sound of the cork leaving the bottle?

In France they have a drink called Pfsst or something like that... pretty funny if you ask me... but I personally just refer to it by name like K1nG

In France, if you order a coke, no one will understand you, for some reason... They call it Coca. There was a joke about it: An Arab tourist walked into a bar in France. "Ihtib cazduki ihbeti kiltezab Coke!" The bartender replied, "You want a big glass of what?"

In Texas it goes like this:

"I'm gonna get me a Coke, you want one?"

"Sure."

"What kind?"

"Dr. Pepper."

Comes back with a Mountain Dew and a Dr. Pepper. :D :D

In England, we use 'pop' too. We also sometimes refer to them as 'cans'

"Hey, you want a can?"
"Yo, you got any pop?"

Soda to us is that tasteless fizzy water. A bit like tonic water I suppose.

Cheers.

when I went to school in ohio I was weirded out by the amount of ppl that called soda "pop" I was under the impression that that was something my parents used to say in the 50s and 60s...

anyways I call it soda...

Back