Poor movie playback in WC3-K-Saga and WC4 Windows version

CoachMark

Spaceman
Hi all. Gee, I finally get a copy of The Kilrathi Saga from a co-worker and the movie playback is terrible! In fact, WC3 and WC4 windows versions do the same thing: They pop, echo and have interference badly.

Unfortunately, it is NOT solved by SOUND CARD ACCELERATION, as is the cure with Prophecy (where my skips are infrequent anyway). When I adjust that, is has no effect - except for no acceleration, which produces an even worse result of bad stuttering, popping and stopping! This problem is reduced by the alt-enter windowing option, but it still happens bad enough to ruin the experience.

This only happens in the Windows versions of WC3 & 4. I have both DOS games and the movies play fine with them - perfectly. It is only in K-Saga and WC4_Win95. The sound in the game itself is fine.

Here's what I've tried: Various sound card and sampling rate combinations, disabling graphics acceleration, The command line switches "-d", "no_sound", "no_interlace", and shutting down other running programs including anti-virus. My guess is that it may have to do with DirectX, since that is one thing that is different between Windows and DOS versions. I am able to run both WC 3 and 4 DOS under Windows, although getting 3 to work took me a long time. For what it's worth, the WC4 demo movies play fine under Windows, as did WC3's demo, back when I could get that to work.

My specs: Win 98 1st Ed, HP 400 Celeron, Intel 810i chip, Rockwell Riptide sound card/modem combination, 192 MB RAM, and DirectX 8.1 (wish I could go back to 8.0).

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I think this is a DirectX problem... Playing in DOS might be the only solution. Well, you can play WC4 DVD in Windows, of course.

Back