Please help with Glide Wrapper

J

jungle.trader

I've tried using the glide wrapper with Wing Commander Prophecy, but I still can't get the "fog" option to work. Yes, I've selected 3dfx from the Launcher. I'm using a ATI Radian X800XL card. Does anyone know if that's a problem--incompatibility? Or is there a certain way I need to configure the Glide Wrapper program? I've tried various configurations, but no joy.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

First you need to figure out if you're actually running the game in 3dfx mode or not. Does a full screen 3dfx burst logo appear while you're booting up the game? Do you have the transparent blue oval around the HUD as depicted in the third shot of each row at https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6525 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chris for your response:

No, I don't get the 3dfx burst logo when I launch Prophecy, nor do I get the transparent blue oval... so obviously I'm not running in 3dfx mode.

I've noticed that whenever I select "3dfx Glide (2.48.00.0455)" from the "Select Video Card" button on the WC: Prophecy Installer/Launcher, it gives me a message that says:

"Wing Commander: Prophecy supports 3Dfx Glide 2.43 and higher. Voodoo Graphics users must have this updated version of Glide installed on their system. To install the updated Glide runtime driver kit, run the 'grtvgr.exe' file in the 3Dfx folder of the Wing Commmander: Prophecy CD #1. See the Install Guide for additional information.

"There is no need to install drivers unless you're having problems with the drivers you received with your board."

Well, since I was having problems, I ran the above mentioned program... which installed drivers for my non existent voodoo video card... Then Glide Wrapper complained about it. So, I had to figure out which files were actually copied onto my hard drive to delete them, since there was no uninstaller... Then I re-installed Glide wrapper... but being back to square one... still no joy... :)

Installing any glide update was definitely a mistake. The error message is normal and can be ignored. No idea why it didn't work however...

Maybe apply one of the 3dfx registry updates (depending on which install you have, probably full) and give it a try. https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml#wcp I guess you can apply the Voodoo patch as well. If you're using the high res patch, try without that. Make sure Prophecy's executable/launch are in Win98 compatibility mode. Try turning down the amount of memory in the configurator to 4 or 8 megs. Also try the 3dfx test and see if that runs. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6596

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I tried the Voodoo patch, and it made no difference.

Then I tried applying the 3dfx registry update (full--as that is the type of installation I had used). This however, seemed to confuse the "Launcher" program, which seemed to think that Prophecy was no longer installed.

So, I re-installed... then uninstalled... and deleted the whole installation directory... Then re-installed again. Now it works! I haven't re-installed the hi-res patch though, and I probably won't as that may have been the problem, as you suggested Chris.

I tried running the 3dfx test program, but it crashes whenever I try to start it up.

At least I've got my fog now...

Thanks for your help guys.

Well, I have a problem too, when i try to run the glide version of Hexen II, an error message pops up saying "wglCreateContect failed"... any ideas?

The 3dfx test does take additional tweaking, but it should be possible to get that running now that your WCP runs. You probably do have to turn down the configurator memory, and you'll definitely need to do compatibility mode on the test executable.

Dyret said:
Well, I have a problem too, when i try to run the glide version of Hexen II, an error message pops up saying "wglCreateContect failed"... any ideas?

Contect or Context? Delete opengl32.dll in the Hexen II directory.

Back