Play Prophecy movies!

Backslash

Spaceman
Just stumbled across something big here, maybe.

So far I've been able to extract Prophecy videos using Treman. They extract as .WVE files, which is a popular EA format. They can't be viewed, though I can listen to the audio with GAP 1.32. From what I hear there's no known utility for viewing the files, right?

Well, I may have found it. On the CD of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, in the Movie directory, there are a whole bunch of .WVE movies. There also happens to be a file called PLAYUV15.EXE, which seems to open WVE files! I've gotten it to play some Prophecy WVE videos, but haven't been able to test it very much because I'm overseas and don't have my CDs with me at the moment. The movies look fine, except the video plays a bit too fast while the sound goes at normal speed. So far I haven't stumbled across the right options to play the files right, but I'm still trying...

Hope this is useful to anyone interested. I can't upload the file anywhere at the moment, unfortunately.

I am wondering... is there a later version of PLAYUV? From searches I found an earlier one that shipped with NBA Live 97, but that requires DOS4GW. Does anyone have a file named anything like PLAYUV? Search various EA games for such a file, there's got to be one somewhere. It would be verrrrrry interesting if we could get a new version that works well, or figure out how to get this one to play right...

Good job! I'll have to try it since, I have two copies of AC!

These movie viewers... I assume you need to extract them from the TRE files first?

BTW, Backslash, know of anywhere else you can get the GAP? I think the server has gone down.

Originally posted by HCl
I've been working on a WC movie player, which aims to be able to play WCP, WC3/4 and P2 movies. At the moment, only WCP movies are supported tho (it plays WVE, UV2 and XA). If you're interested, you can find it on http://wcmods.badfellas.de/hcl/wcmv_beta1.zip (it needs the SDL Library, which can be downloaded on http://www.libsdl.org/ )

Mario

HCl-- YOU DA MAN!...

You're only a cadet?... I don't get it. How can it be that yer only "cadet"?.. Maybe you only recently joined & began posting here, but COME ON!...

They should start you out at at least captain rank, in honor of your service to the WC Community "above and beyond the call":confused:

Huzzah, HCl is back! Welcome! And what a great project it sounds like he's making. We will watch with considerable interest. I'm especially looking forward to the Privateer 2 player... and the Secret Ops high-res upgrade! (look at his site) Mmmmm.

Yes, the player I mentioned (and probably all the others) require the extraction of the movies from the TRE files. I used a program called Treman, but I forgot where I got it; I was referred to it from someone on this message board.

Wedge009, sorry I don't know of other reliable places to get GAP. It took some time before I found the one I mentioned. You might do a search for it, the filename is GAP132.ZIP; I wouldn't be surprised if it could be found on a foreign section of zdnet or cnet or something like that.

I got all the Prophecy music (not including simulator music) uploaded to the Black Lance FTP directory.
Now all I need is TC to transfer the files for public access. (hint)

welcome back HCl, incidentally anyone know how to extract the wc3 demo movie, i cant get that to come out, neither treman nor ripper will get it, any ideas?

I just put up a small WC3 command line movie ripper, rip3.exe.

Running "rip3 movies.tre" extracts the movie files present in the TRE, numbered starting at 1.mve. These mve files can be played by running wcmv.exe ("wcmv 1.mve -i", -i means interlaced video and is optional)
Mario

Back