Play Privateer 1 +2 under Windows :)

• Thread starter Guest:BoH_Havoc
  • Start date
G

Guest:BoH_Havoc

this is for all of you wanting to play Privateer 1+2 under Windows (until the final vers of "The Reckoning" is released ^^). You don't need to make a bootdisk to play priv :)

Privateer 1 (doesn't work with XP for me):

go here --> http://home.iprimus.com.au/nsswty/Wedge009/Priv/

read through the page and enjoy :D
one thing to mention: you have to play a bit with the sound options until you get sound...the game starts even if your sound settings are wrong...it even works with a newer 5.1 soundcard :))))

PLAY!

Privateer 1 under XP :

the good thing: you can play privateer under xp
the bad one: it will run laggy :|

Download this Dos-Emulator --> http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

read through the manual of the emu (isn't that long ;P )
!!IMPORTANT!! set "EMS=false" in the emu options! !!IMPORTANT!!

PLAY!

for more speed try to disable the sound in privateer!

Privateer 2 (dunno if it works with XP, just try it ;P ):

dl this patch for Priv2 --> http://www.geocities.com/sasa_25/files/p2patch.zip

install Privateer2 !
patch it !
create a shortcut on your destop!
right click on it --> properties --> program --> advanced --> uncheck ALL boxes --> now check the "no windows-recognize of ms-dos based programs" box

PLAY!

Privater 2 under XP(doesn't work with 9x for me):

go here --> http://originalthp.solsector.net/privateer2win95/privateer2.html

read through the page

PLAY!

have a nice privateer day :)

OH SWEET JESUS YES!

Is what i would be saying if i owned either Priv 1 or 2. I so wish i had those games, but i have enough trouble trying to get WC4/WCP/WCSO running...
If i ever get those games i'll be sure to refer to those links. Thanks

Help!!!

I have managed to run Priv 2 on my XP, BUT I CAN'T Calibrate my joystick!
the game still uses it's original calibration function which tries to temper with the memory directly, some thing that XP will never allow!

HELP!
WHAT DO I DO ?!?!?!?!?
(flying priv 2 with a mouse simply sucks!!!!)

Priv1

YOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! IT WORKS!!!!
MY 10 YEARS OLD ORIGINAL 5.25" DISKS COPY OF PRIVATEER 1 REALY WORKS!!!!!!!!!

Now, does anyone have any tips on how to make it less slugish?

Problem with dos box

I am getting a computer paging feature not supported error when I try to run privateer. I have EMS set to false. Anything else I can try?

faster ???

Ok I can now start privateer 1 with the dosbox trick but I could not upgrade the running speed even with the Ctrl+f12 it's increment de cycle but not the game speed?

Is it normal or someone can really play this old game at it's original speed?

JF

My experience with dosbox (on a P4 1.7GHz) is that getting anything running at original speed is impossible - even for games from the late 1980s :p. From what I heard, dosbox is good when you've got like a 4GHz machine or something... but unless you've got such a beast, you're better off finding an older machine and simply installing DOS on it.

Hello. almost , almost=) i followed some tutoriels for privaterr 1 /win XP.

I have this message in Dosbox after i type Priv to start the game.

Privateer CD not found.

JEMM unloaded

C:\PRIVATEER>

Help me please. I miss so much this game.

Thx by advance!

Ok. after many try i found what to do...

I don t have a joystick atm .. so it s pretty unplayable right now.

Anyone has a tip to make the resolution better please?

The resolution is fixed. I've never played Privateer with a joystick, it's not really necessary.

hi there,

the first link for priv 1 isnt working at the moment, would it be possible to post te gist of it (unles its a downloadable file).

thanks,
brad

Hello,

You never played priv with a joy? With the mouse it s quit unplayable. So i think you used the keyboard... With the keyboard the curser jump arround the ship when you try to target it.. it s pretty difficult to play like that. Do you have some tips? I gonna try it.. The start will be really long i bet..

By the way .. Someone have any tips to make a game run faster with dosbox?
I got master of magic.. it s working but after a few time..(when players have lots of units..) the turn take too much time.. like 30 40 secondes when you end it.

Could someone explain me why hold game are all soo slow on fast computer when we have to use dos?

Can i increase the CPU cycle with a very high valu? is there a risk to damage the cpu or something?

I am pretty a beguinner with computer and dosbox.

Thx all by advance for your time.

Have a good day(or night)

there are several detailed threads about DOSBOX in the TECH SUPPORT forum here at crius, including a compile of the program that runs priv1 a LOT faster.

Ok thx you.
I use VDM for MoM and it works just great..
After a lot of try, i give up privateer atm and wait for the next dosbox.. cross finger.

Back