Pitched battle with one *HELL* of a payout!

Starblazer

Spaceman
Greetings All,

I don't know if this was a glitch, easter egg, mistake or what!!

Picked up a mission in Padre, basicly scan Manchester nav points and Confed refinerys, slap silly a bunch of Retos (damn these people are good flyers, all over the place, spining around, waggling back and forth while still managing to come at me in a straight line! Daaammnn! ;)), and all is well.

Showed up, scanned, smacked about 10 or so around + a Drayman, with confed and merc help.......the payout......wait for it.....$257,385.00!

Yep, when I saw *THAT* amount on the screen I just stared for a moment, rubbed my eyes, looked again....and ran for my ship!!

I don't know if this was a goof or deliberate, but I liked it!! ;>

Anyone else have anything like this happen?

Starblazer

Sounds like a good pay out for a lot of work.. I don't remember if you got that sort of pay out in the original (been a loooooong time since I've played it) but it sounds like you did a job for the Military.... not sure but that may be why the huge pay out

I saw a mission to defend a merchant from 18 talons for something like 430k. Didn't take it cause I was trying to run brilliance :)

Back in my day, I'd call 18 Talons the obstacle I'd face on three concurrent patrols. I'd get 20,000 credits for it, and boy I'd be happy with that.

I suspect that if you can win a mission like that you don't need the money. In any case, limiting the reward for a difficult mission like that to 125k or so is probably more reasonable.

If I had a Tarsus with two Tachyon Cannons and a missile rack, I could take out 18 Talons. A better option would be splitting them up over multiple missions and paying out far less than 125k though.

I am more concerned with the way the AI pilots their ships.

I surely hope that there are Interia Dampeners in the Wing Commander Universe because the way they were piloting, i would have thrown up several times.

Also, since i am more of a Fighting Privateer, this game isn't my cup of tea or in my case 'coffee'.

I didn't get a chance to play the original, but this game seems very similar to X-2 :The Threat. (in the sense that you are essentially forced to trade to get a decent fighter)

At least on this game you can hold your own against one ship, but i don't like the idea of starting in a crap freighter everytime.

Why not have a choice of a crap fighter or a crap freighter? (depending if you wanna be a trader or a fighter) Just my opinion.

Good job with it though....nice graphics and everything, but i seriously hope you do the same with Privateer II, that one you could fight OR trade.

I know you can fight from the start, but you got to admit, the game is more oriented towards Trading then fighting.

Unregistered said:
Why not have a choice of a crap fighter or a crap freighter? (depending if you wanna be a trader or a fighter) Just my opinion.
Because the Privateer storyline says that your grandfather died and left you his Tarsus in Gemini Sector.

Unregistered said:
JKeefe said:
Because the Privateer storyline says that your grandfather died and left you his Tarsus in Gemini Sector.
'Sides that...
For those of us who played the original game...
The Tarsus, when properly set up, is one kick-arse little ship.
Sure, your first few missions are hairy, but every mission brings a better piece of equipment, and higher paying missions.
I ran the original game with just the Tarsus several times.
(It's a lot hairier than running around in a Centurion, and sometimes, more fun!)

But, then, again, I've noticed that people love having an edge now-a-days.
In the Freelancer and Starlancer game world, everyone wants an UBER-ship.
Takes to much off the "edge" one feels with the standard ships.
(If ya ask me.)

Well, now-a-days, all people want is to fight their way out of a dis-advantage against over-wealming odds. (not my kind of thing)

Granted, the game has to be challenging to an extent, but seeing all the fighters turn around within a split second, while i am still turning, is not one of them.

I just think you should have a choice of a fighter or a freighter, depending on what you wanna do.

On Starlancer, i always fall asleep, its a crap game.

On Freelancer, I never played online because all people wanna do is pvp and to me, pvp is always pre-dictable on ALL games that feature it.

Freelancer: virtually unlimted Cannon Balls and bam.....dead (every single time, no tactics involved)

Starwars Galaxies: Mind Attacks (since you can't heal them without rest)

So, i avoid pvp.....totally crap and useless.....AI is more better then real players because the AI use all of the arsenal at their command, while players just use the best weapon ALL the time with no skill or tactics.

Also with Freelancer, if i play a Bounty Hunter, i stick to Bounty hunter ships and the same go for the Outcasts, Lane Hackers and other factions.

Also, unlike others that just do a get rich quick trade run and then rush to Omicron Theta for the Eagle, i go there slowly, having fun.

Anyway, i still think you should start with either a Fighter or Freighter.......on Privateer 2 you did, so i think you should on the Prequel too.

you know:

Fighter choice: Talon
Freighter choice: what you get right now

Just my opinion.

Also, i hope you get the sodding AI to fly realistically and not like madmen. lol

JKeefe said:

well, this is a *remake* so here is your chance. lol

I have seen couple of times two identical missions in Merchant/Mercenary's Guild that both offered about 500k each. I mean two identical missions in Same mission disc box. Of course missions offering crazy payments like that are indeed Hard to complete, at least with my skills :)

If the mission requires travelling through multiple systems to reach it, then fight hordes of enemies while dodging asteroids - your light trader might not even be able to complete it. Considering the risk vs reward, that payout is fine.

I haven't seen such missions yet, but did complete a mission in War system for 93K.

-Ares

roflcopter at the other unregistered.

"pvp is always pre-dictable on ALL games that feature it."

how sad. have you ever played subspace? after you are done torrenting this game and sharing it to all your friends and beating it in all ships, come try my favorite pvp game: http://beginners.subspace.net/

you can't expect to fight well in a light trader, but you don't need to trade at all to make money.

first you take small in-system missions, like scouting and maybe a small bounty against a lone taloon, and buy yourself a pair of meson guys to replace that cheapo 'lazer'. then get 20 IR missiles and fetch one of them 20K defence missions for an in-system heavy trader.

buy yourself the best shields and reactor your trashcan can support.

then go do a long distance scouting/combat missions against Retro/Pirates, 20K and up to 100K for some. when fighting such enemies, go crazy ivan to eliminate one of them during initial approach, use thrusters to follow the others during retreat, and after a few meson shots into the rear shields, mop up with a rocket.

300k in the bank, easy.

-Ares

Unregistered said:
well, this is a *remake* so here is your chance. lol

Why bother "remaking" it if you're going to change everything? Might as well make a new game.

Bandit LOAF said:
One mission can outfit you in the best ship? Sounds like a balance issue.
It's the kind of mission you can't beat without already having the best ship ;)

Seriously though, the game has a bit of a difficulty curve based on how far along you are. The more money you have, the larger the enemy flightgroups are. Thus, a mission like that should not come about until you already have a load of money (which you won't have while you are still upgrading your ship).

Basically, it should only happen when you have enough cash that money doens't matter anymore, something that did happen in the original. Here, in the absence of continuing monetary concers it at least gives you a challenge. And yeah, using a Centurion to take out 18 talons is fairly easy if they come in waves, but all at once is a bit harder.

Oh yeah.. even though cash won't matter at that point, the payout is still usually not that high. It's a bit of a fluke.

Unregistered said:
with Freelancer
unlike others that just do a get rich quick trade run and then rush to Omicron Theta for the Eagle, i go there slowly, having fun.
I always went for the Dagger, myself.
(Even made a mod so I started with it.)

I just got 650k for defending a Drayman against 18 Pirate Talons, about 2 jumps away from the fixer who gave it to me.

I was flying a fully upgraded Demon with 4 plasma guns (recently outfitted with Autotracking). Even without the Autotracking, all I need in order to take down a Talon is a single clear shot (usually comes when they try to go head-to-head with me, but also works if they turn tail and run...just as long as they aren't pulling those 10 g tricks). The Autotracking meant that I could fly into a horde and keep shooting, and fly out having killed a couple and damaged several others.

Still, it turned out to be a tough fight. Sure, taking them out was a piece of cake. But I had 18 of them shooting at me (pretty well). Makes me wish the ship could handle more shields, and I'd like a couple turrets as well (Centurion can hold one...might go for that). At one point I cloaked (got that too) just to get away from the action and to avoid putting my back to any one "group" (they organized in clumps of 4-5).

I have to say, though, that considering the payoff...well, no matter how difficult a mission is (and this wasn't too difficult...so long as you didn't blow up...the fight was over real fast because of my autotracking capabilities), it shouldn't pay off more than 150k. 150k being maybe for those Kilrathi encounters of 15-20 ships (groups of pirates are easy to handle because you can outmanouver them...cats have crappy weapons but boy can they fly, and they seem to fly in formation as well).

Anyway, I saw a Kamekh class ship for 8 million credits, so I'm not complaining about the big payoff. Autotracking cost me 90k per mount (360k total), so even after the payoff my funds are only at 1.3 million or so.

Back