Philosophical exercise:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Preacher
1) Why isn't the word "phonetic" spelled like it sounds?
2) Why is the word "abbreviation" one of the longest commonly-used words in the Eng. language?...
[/B]

WHY is the truth always boring?
Answer to both questions is that the word in itself already emphasizes the need for the topic that it describes.

Now feminine things are quite the contrary: why choose the name Allways for cotton pads to be used as little as possible? And why on Earth are the adhesive sides called wings when their purpose is to keep the damn thing from moving about?
lipSTICK never does.

the opposite sex... I better stick to gameplaying.

"If a tin whistle is made out of tin, then what is a foghorn made out of?"
"I hate my reflection, as it is quite the opposite of me"

ok, a goodbyer: you guys try this one: connect these nine x-es with four straight lines without lifting your pen from the paper you just copied them on for practise:

........x..........x..........x

have fun (sorry for the dots, but that's the only way to keep them spaced in this thread, I guess)

Re: Re: Philosophical exercise:

Originally posted by Stormbird

ok, a goodbyer: you guys try this one: connect these nine x-es with four straight lines without lifting your pen from the paper you just copied them on for practise:

Easy one, the important thing is to know where to put the diagonals...

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Don't blame Ladiesman', LeHah. Blame George Corwin or whateverhisnameis.

Other topics of discussion:

1. What is the difference between a donut and a doughnut?
2. British English: o before u except after a,e,i?
3. JFK: lone gunman or grassy knoll?
4. Elvis: That's the way it is?
5. Sausages: patties or links?
6. WAR! What is it good for?
7. Don't you want Somebody to Love?
8. If a tree falls, and nobody's around, and it falls on a mime, does anybody care?

3) JFK>> Neither: CSM (Cigarette Smoking Man). Apparently, you don't catch X-Files...

5) Sausages>> "Snausages" (ask anyone who works at a pizzeria)

8) Women's variant on this theme: "If a man is all alone in a forest, and there's no one around, is he still wrong?"

Originally posted by Supdon3
Sections of the freeway that have tolls (like all of Illinois ARRGH!) are called tollways.

and toll house cookies are generally made at home, not on the highway in the toll booths...

This one actually comes from an example of why computers translating is so difficult:

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. So what the heck are time flies, and why do they like an arrow?

:eek:

Originally posted by Supdon3
Sections of the freeway that have tolls (like all of Illinois ARRGH!) are called tollways.
Hmmm...can't say that I've ever heard that. I've heard of "toll roads", but not as a replacement for the term freeway. *shrug*

Originally posted by Stormbird
lol only easy when you've seen it b4, Dak... remember I said WITHOUT taking your pen from the paper

Easy when you think about where to place the diagonal lines anyway...

Tollways

Why are there toll booths on a freeway?

Actually...there aren't. Toll Booths are on a Tollway. Freeways (or Expressways as they are technically in Chicago) do not have tolls. If they did, they'd be a tollway. Then they'd be part of a money stealing IDOT scam...[as put earlier: like in all of Illinois ARRGHH]

Originally posted by Unforgiven

Please don't go there! Other words that spring to mind are eight, queue and leicester (pronounced lester).

In other news: What happened to the first six ups?

1) Lester WHO?...

2) The first 6 ups were successive prototypes, all of which crashed & burned.;)

Re: Tollways

Originally posted by Crusader11

Actually...there aren't. Toll Booths are on a Tollway. Freeways (or Expressways as they are technically in Chicago) do not have tolls. If they did, they'd be a tollway. Then they'd be part of a money stealing IDOT scam...[as put earlier: like in all of Illinois ARRGHH]
Obviously, you didn't read the thread, where I already responded to this. I dunno if "tollways" is a MidWest regional term or what, but I know that I've never heard it used in common language on the East coast between New York and North Carolina.

On the other hand, I DO regularly hear people refer to highways with tolls on them as freeways. *shrug*

Heck, here in Richmond, VA, there is a DownTOwn Expressway with tolls. How exactly is something an "expressway" when youhave to stop to pay tolls?

Re: Tollways

Originally posted by Crusader11

See, like I said. This guy is backing me up.:cool: If people refer to it as the freeway, its probably out of habit not because thats its official designation. I really dont care either way and when I go up to Wisconsin or down to southern Illinios where there are freeways I just call em tollways out of habit. Its like the soda, pop deal. Some call it soda, others call it pop, either way its carbonated sugar water.

It's like in my city. The highway 'N3' is officially called the 'Randweg' (road along the side of a city) of Dordrecht, but everybody calls it 'Rondweg' (road around a city, like the Periferique at Paris). But it doesn't go around Dordrecht, for all intents and purposes it's a Randweg.
But everybody keeps saying it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back