Phase Shields?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Right...

Originally posted by WildWeasel
I'm sure they meant that it was exactly 365 days later...

(By the way, that was sarcasm.)

Find me some meaning of "one year later", literal or otherwise,
that doesn't include the year-o-meter clicking up a step. (E.g., I can see "one year later" being from September one year to May the next, or even from December one year to January the next in the pathological case, but the "year" digit in the calendar must change).

Generally speaking, when someone says "X amount of time later", they mean X+ or - y amount of time has passed, where Y << X.
Respectfully,

Brian P.

Correction: below I wrote fighters could equate battleship firepower...I meant to put they could not.:eek:

That doesn't necessarily mean it was more than a year later. It's more likely that they meant almost a year later, seeing how Righteous Fire takes place during the war. And this is all based on the assumption that we're going a year from the destruction of the Steltek drone. For all we know, it's a year from something else.

OK, how about this ...

Perhaps not *all* of the events in privateer took place in 2669 -- maybe if we date only the very last part of privateer in 2669 and the vast majority of it in 2668 (we can do this becase the intro trailer shows brownhair fighting pirates outside the normal spacelanes -- and we START when Brownhair first got his Tarsus, so it could be the trailer takes place significantly further along in the main plot). So, in order to make the trailer correct we can date the end of Privateer as 2669.001.

Hmmm .. RF takes place a year later .. but we can allow that that's an exaggeration and it's actually less than a year -- in order for the events to take place before the end of the war it needs to happen before 2669.267. Give 'em about 30 days in which RF happens -- comes out to about 2669.237.

Looks like about 8 or 9 months into the year -- I guess that's a close enough approximation.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The war is clearly not over in RF -- because they talk about how it's not going well. The "one year later" doesn't have to be literal, and it doesn't have to be in relation to the *end* of Privateer. It could be a year after Burrows got his Tarsus from the intro story...

Originally posted by Wulf
Correction: below I wrote fighters could equate battleship firepower...I meant to put they could not.:eek:
As a matter of fact, if you use the shield listings provided from Claw marks, the Wc3-Wcp era fighters would have as much (if not more)firepower as a battleship.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The war is clearly not over in RF -- because they talk about how it's not going well. The "one year later" doesn't have to be literal, and it doesn't have to be in relation to the *end* of Privateer. It could be a year after Burrows got his Tarsus from the intro story...

Makes sense. I'll buy it.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by Bhaktadil

As a matter of fact, if you use the shield listings provided from Claw marks, the Wc3-Wcp era fighters would have as much (if not more)firepower as a battleship.

That's for shield penetration you're talking about, I take it. I'm just talking about the power involved. I find it odd that a fighter's cannons could match/overpower the large antimatter weaponry of capships. They can devastate planets much sooner with gunfire alone, and you would need many fighters to do the same job, many.

Because the alloys got stronger. A centimeter of Isometal is 60x stronger than a centimeter of durasteel...

Because the alloys got stronger. A centimeter of Isometal is 60x stronger than a centimeter of durasteel...

So 300cm "durasteel equivalent" translates to roughly 5 cm of actual material, right?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Depends what it's made of...

In the case I was thinking of, Isometal.

5cm Isometal armor * 60 durasteel equivalent = 300 cm durasteel equivalent strength.

What's the thickness of a Centurion's frontal armor again? 10 cm? Then an Isometal Centurion of RF = 10 * 60 = 600 durasteel cm equivalent. It upgrades the Centurion from a joke of a ship to a real contender with WC3-era military fighters -- I think that's thick enough to absorb a direct hit from a Devastator plasma cannon, yes?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

IIRC the Devastator heavy plasma gun in WCP did 460 damage and in SOPS it did 600 damage. But I forgot if these damage unit actually mean "penetration of durasteel in cm." .

The damage units are in tenths of a centimeter.

IIRC, the armor in Privateer doesn't multiply the number -- it just adds a centimeter of whatever kind of armor you purchase. So your Centurion goes from having 10 cm of regular armor to having 70 cm of equivalent armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back