Perfect Plan

The Perfect Plan Alpha 1.1 is a WIP campain for Flight Commander. It will feature many things but I'm not going to go into them here.

Download

Flight Commander 1.4.5 is required (1.4.6 untested). The Christmas RC pack is hotlinked here without permission and also is required.

It was just meant to be a small little update. The only reason its here is because the new versions of Flight Commander need the chat tree files. I included in this release just in case anyone is woundering.

It might be helpful if you mentioned which files from the RG pack are needed. There are quite a few in the pack.

Dauntless
Ranger
Scimitar
Vindicator

It is pretty good for a work in progress. Intriguing story from what I could glean.

Keep it up.

"Hi! The dancing is good and the jokes are fine." :D

It would probably be easier if you just consolidated everything into one zip that could be installed on top of the 1.4 release.

Kyran said:
The Perfect Plan Alpha 1.1 is a WIP campain for Flight Commander. It will feature many things but I'm not going to go into them here.

What's the point of a summary post if you're not going to go into that kind of stuff or link to where it's at? The website you linked doesn't seem to have any information, and if it's just something you posted earlier in the thread, it should be an easy copy and paste. If you've invested your own time in creating a project and want other people to spend their time playing it, it really helps to spend a few more minutes explaining what's going on and making it easy for people to get into.

ChrisReid said:
What's the point of a summary post if you're not going to go into that kind of stuff or link to where it's at?
I did include a download link just under what you quoted and the requirements. The point of the summary was to say its a WIP and isn't finished in any way.

My post above about the website was only meant to say that I was going to post any updates at that website. It wasn't meant to be some major release, just a little side note.

I intent to do a massive write up when its finished. I only provide downloads for people who are in the know and what to see what I'm up to.

Kyran said:
I intent to do a massive write up when its finished. I only provide downloads for people who are in the know and what to see what I'm up to.

I think you should do an adequate write up now. Otherwise, there's no point in posting a download.

I wish I just said it was just a generic campain with no main characters, five missions, oddly named ships and a radio host doing the voice for a transport.

MajorCamKollent said:
How's that supposed to make me want to try it. What you have there makes the mod sound boring.
Maybe so but it would have stopped so many people asking questions.

The Perfect Plan is a Flight Commander campaign currently in development. It will feature some unique characteristics in later missions, including trading resources and hiring crew to build ships and other such requirements.

The current release sets the scene and gives a small taste of the planned campaign. It has five missions, (six if you include the one its not possible to get to) five new voice overs and three edited ships. The release has been tested to work with Flight Commander 1.4.5 and should work with 1.4.6 without any trouble.

Another feature is the option of playing on either side of the conflict. Early on in the campaign, while the main character is lone wolfing, two enemy pilots give the option of defecting to their side. You could either pretend to defect and lead them into a trap, or truly defect and annoy your ex-wing mates.

http://www.myopracticinstitute.org/perfectplan/PerfectPlanMission1.PNG
Some of the voice overs have been doubled up so their active on friendly and enemy sides or this preview release. Here Kool Kat is using Spite's lines on the first mission.

http://www.myopracticinstitute.org/perfectplan/PerfectPlanMission2.PNG
The option of defecting is presented in the second mission. Its not finished yet so don't expect much.

http://www.myopracticinstitute.org/perfectplan/PerfectPlanMission3.PNG
Entering some friendly territory.

http://www.myopracticinstitute.org/perfectplan/PerfectPlanMission4.PNG
Some pilots with their AI's turned off. Shoot them however and they'll react.

http://www.myopracticinstitute.org/perfectplan/PerfectPlanMission5.PNG
Transport protect duty on the fifth mission.

This mod uses the Dauntless, Ranger, Scimitar and the Vindicator. All can be found in the Christmas RC Pack.

The Perfect Plan Alpha 1.1

Christmas RC Pack

To install the Christmas RC Pack and the Perfect Plan, just unzip all the contents of all the zip files into the Flight Commander directory.

Kyran said:
Maybe so but it would have stopped so many people asking questions.

You should expect people to have all sorts of questions when you make something available to download. Apparently there's only a couple people "in the know," so you'd be missing out on lots of feedback if you only put it out for them. The story seems confusing and the setup is more complicated than with other FC mods. As I said above, if it's worth your time to develop a mod, it should be worth a few minutes more of your time to get people going with it.

it sounds realy interesting, but...I have no clue what going on. Maybe just write a short paragraph or two to explain whats going on?

Don't think what it "will have" is really relevant. The average user doesn't care about global variables. Tell us what you have now, not what you think you will have in the future. Think of it this way: when you have a nice detailed description, plus a single zip file to unpack on top of Flight Commander 1.4, then you'll probably get a nice news article and lots of people trying out your stuff. Otherwise, don't think anyone will bother to look at it. Look at the Standoff or Flight Commander major release annoucements for examples.

This is refering to what ChrisReid wrote in his last post.

I really don't know how to reply now, I've read that five times and everytime its been different. :D My attitude was more alone the lines of humor. Christmas RC and that included everytime the link to the download was provided. And as for people in the know I was refering to two people + script borrowers. :D So yes, my target audiance is a bit small.

I'm trying to write up all the information. Thats why the 'still editing' is up there.

Wow, so many posts. What is this? Peak hour?

EDIT: Updated the info in the post above this one. Anything need adding?

Think of it this way: when you have a nice detailed description, plus a single zip file to unpack on top of Flight Commander 1.4, then you'll probably get a nice news article and lots of people trying out your stuff. Otherwise, don't think anyone will bother to look at it. Look at the Standoff or Flight Commander major release annoucements for examples.
Yes of course, but there isn't anything worth writing about. I already had a news article front paged. When I made that post above it was only meant to be a small headsup. "Hey I've got a new website, I'll post information about The Perfect Plan on it." I included a download on it so the site had a release for the curious and the new budding Flight Commander mission maker looking to steal scripts. I was not looking to go mainstream yet.

Don't think that will work out of the box. As it is now, you are forcing people to do all the following downloads to make it work:

Flight Commander 1.4
Flight Commander 1.4 patch 4
Flight Commander 1.4 patch 5 or 6
Perfect Plan alpha
Ranger's Glory Christmas pack.

Make it easier for people please. Just put the relevant files from

Flight Commander 1.4 patch 4
Flight Commander 1.4 patch 5 or 6
Perfect Plan alpha
Ranger's Glory Christmas pack.

All in one file. Make it easy to try.

Once you've got that done, write up a good 3 or 4 hefty paragraphs on what your mod is. What's the story line? What are its main features. People don't really care as much how you did it, they're interested in what you've produced. Your pictures shouldn't be links, they should be images. Take the time to clean it up, put it in a completely new clean thread, and then celebrate your first release.

Let's put it this way: I haven't tried it yet myself because the install looks too complicated, and I wrote the engine :).

We're all just trying to help you come up with a solid first release. Because this is everyone's introduction to your project. Even if its very early and unfinished, people will still want to try it.

Alright alright, I'll put all the files in one big massive zip/rar/7zp which you can install over Flight Commander. This is going to take forever uploading.

I wouldn't bother with a rar or 7zp for something like this. Just a regular zip is good. Any additional pictures you have would also be great.

Actually, it shouldn't be that big: just take the necessary files from RG (that is 14 MB right there and most of it you don't need for PP). Also just include all of the files zipped in patch 4 and patch 6 not every file in your FC folder. Then add all of that to what you currently have for PP. It shouldn't be more than 15 MB and probably less than that.

It wouldn't take me long to create this zip myself, actually.

I feel your pain, I've had to upload 40+ meg releases over dial up before. Did them overnight.

Back