PCs and Prices

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
I'm looking into getting a new PC. A friend of mine told me of a company in Illinois called Midwest that sells computers that were once leased out to companies and are no longer needed. The going price for a 933 is about $200 but I'm calling them tomorrow to confirm.

My friend Danielle has a friend that could slap one together. I probably could do it myself but Im retired from getting my hands dirty with PCs. The thought of having someone just giving it to me all set up sounds wonderful - I can fuck it up and fix it on my own, need be.

Dell Computers had me at 2.4 ghz, 256 RAM, 60 gigs, DVD-R, 64 Meg GeForce 4 - $749 (No Monitor though)

Its roughly what I'm looking for. I want at least a 1.5 ghz but perfer 2.0. 512 Ram and at least 40 gig HD are the only other things that I "need". Everything else is gravy; I can get a higher end video card whenever.

Anyone have any ideas or tips? Anything I overlooked?

Go for 512 MB RAM and an ATI 9500 Pro or No-Pro.
Check what mobo will you buy, and a good SoundBlaster

Well, maybe I should be more clear. :)

Anyone know of any better arrangements to get PCs? Some cheap places online or something?

I bought a dell about a year and a half ago. Great computer, but I wouldn;t recommend it. I probably won't do it again. I'll build my next one. I could've saved about 600 bucks if I had. As much RAM as you can afford is my one bit of insight.
Try Tiger Direct, its online. Sometimes you can get steals from the refurbished depts of many distributers like Dell and IBM. A friend of mine got a refurb laptop from dell (2GHz, 256MB RAM, 20gig HD IIRC) for $500.

C-ya

Check out bizrate.com for good refurnbished systems. But first, check out shuttle.com. They have kick-ass systems for a low price. What's your budget?

Unfortunately, a lot of companys are using integrated video cards now. Sucks. That's a great budget to build a great pc. Pricewatch.com can give you some decent rates for stuff even if you're not willing to buy parts online. I would recommend buying everything you want in it then pay someone else to build it. Also, buying all the ram you can afford isn't really a good thing. Depends on the OS a lot. But go with at least 512 for starters.

That's a pretty good snag, but I'm sure you know why it was so cheap. It's an eMachine. And I'm sure you know they're not that reliable.

You're right; it does look solid, though the video card is really blah.

LeHah said:
You're right; it does look solid, though the video card is really blah.
Good thing you can usually switch the vidcard off and stick your own in there, then.

Also, have you any thought of selling your current/old PC, even if only part by part?... That way, you can have $XYZ.00 more to play with in considering a new system, eh?...

Yeah, you can get a GeForceFX 5200 for $99 at Best Buy. It's performance is like a Ti 4200 I believe. But with some better features though.

Yeah; I got my 4200 for $70 net, after rebates. Pretty schweet. Now all I need is a mobo I can stick it in. That'll take awhile, at my current rate. :(

T8H3X11 said:
:confused: You're supposed to get your mobo first. Silly Preacher.
I GOT one (for free from a friend of mine, no less!); turns out, though, that its only AGP 2x spec (4200 is 4x spec).

Weird thing is, when I first plugged it in to the mobo, it DID work at first (which I was told shouldn't have been possible!). Then, the PC refused to boot thereafter unless I swapped it out for the old card. Go figure. Still, I haven't *yet* seen a 4200 for a better price, at least in the stores around here (BestBuy/CompUSA/Staples)...

You can build a top of the lin computer for about 750 after rebates. Thats what i did. AMD 2400+, 1 gig ram PC 2700, 80gb HD, GF4TI 4200 with the 128 ram. sB Audigy, a custom case, and logitech 5.1 speaker system dont remeber the model number,an asus mother board, CD burner and dvd drive. Pluss i canablized a 10 GB HD and slaved it and saved the old modem from my previous computer. it was 900 before the rebates but thats still better than anything ive seen on the market.

Back