PC Gamer mentions our favorite game

I should color one of my statements by saying that their more recent title announcements interest me, where-as they haven't in some years. I never begrudged them their sports titles because, well... Geez, there's a lot of sports out there, and their rosters change every year. So it goes without saying that if you make decent sports games and they sell, you make them every year. With DLC that model changes in execution, but the idea is still the same.

I yearned for more Ultima and Wing Commander when it became apparent they were dead, or dormant, or sleeping in Rl'yeh or something. I didn't damn EA, though, and I don't blame a company for making money. For all the internet copy-cat hate of Microsoft over the years, I never disliked Microsoft. Same animal.

EA changed their PR, but even that was a step in the right direction. At least, for someone who didn't hate them for making money. They put a better face on it. Whether it be marketing rhetoric, it's better than the iron wall of money starting at you, as a consumer. Mirror's Edge looks cool to me, which is more than I can say for most EA games I've heard of for a few years. Yes, it could release and suck, but at least it has my attention. Dead Space does, too, but something about it seems sketchy to me. Down-right platformy, even. Dunno how to feel about it yet.

Whether I'm buying the "good guy" talk by design is irrelevant, because I always respected the company. So naturally, putting a friendly facade on it makes it easier to do so, even if that wall of money is still standing behind it. At least that money is keeping our favorite IPs from flowing out into the market and being bought up by questionable hands (Interplay reference).

Remember - Origin didn't do very well in the years after the acquisition.

The basis of the 'risk' variable in my comparison. In which there technically was no comparison. Go figure.

Anyway, so how about that PC Gamer, huh? I wish they still made pull-outs of Lara Croft in lingerie.

Really. I do. Really.

There *is* something weird about Dead Space, isn't there? I should be totally into it -- System Shock with an elaborate marketing tie-in that I wish I had... and one of the really *great* guys I met during the Arena promotion is working on it... but I'm just not feeling it.

I can't say that everything EA has done has interested me - far from it - but I can certainly point to stuff from the 'EA is evil!' years and say wow, that's original. Remember... Majestic, I think it was? The alternate reality game game that called your cell phone and stuff? Even their MMO stuff in those years did a fantastic job of trying something new -- they had the car racing game and the mech combat game and the online Sims title and the space combat game (not ours, but still) in an period when everybody else was printing money by making arcade versions of Ultima Online. And then when they find a *hit* with a weird project, all the more. I remember when The Sims was a strange and exciting risk.

Yep, I remember wanting to play Majestic, but couldn't afford it at the time. It had come around just after I played Deus Ex for the first time, so I had that conspiracy flavor in my mouth. Too bad it fizzled.

And I agree, EA had games here and there that were ... I dunno if I want to use the word innovative, but certainly quirky in some way. There was a lull of those not long after The Sims 2 was released, though, up until more recently.

Dead Space... Something about it seems too Resident Evilly for me. I have a distaste for the 'plasticy, on-the-rails' feel of Eastern game design, and something about it 'feels' like it. It's a wait and see thing. I think it had something to do with what's being promised, and the uncertainty of how it'll be delivered with how it's shaping up, now.

I haven't played much 360 other than Burnout Paradise since it came out... And not only that, we're getting massive DLC - Get this - COMPLETELY FREE... Wow, EA sure is evil, they won't even take my money ;)

I kind of like the way Deadspace looks. The environments and atmosphere seem spot-on. Though I'm not sure I'll enjoy the actual gameplay. THe tie-ins are fairly neat though.

Back