Passing Wing Commander on to the next generation...

Necromancer

Rear Admiral
I've moved back to New England after nearly a decade on the West Coast, and now I am near to family again. I was talking with my sister and her kids, and discovered that my 13 year-old nephew is having trouble with a mission in Wing Commander Prophecy.

Since I've got the guides, I went over the mission with him, and told him where he was going wrong. It was a very different experience to actually be the older pilot helping the new recruit.

I dug out my KS and played through all of the games in order (having diffuclty installing Price of Freedom, though). Ah, memories.

That's great to hear. Recruiting new pilots for confed or UBW is always looked highly upon. Pretty soon I should have a new PC so I can once again relive the excitement from beginning to end...

I moved out of my 'rents house about a year ago, much to the despair of my 11-year old brother. He had recently discoverd my WC-dedicated PC and was experiencing everything for the first time when I packed up all the equipment and moved away. I felt pretty bad becuase he was really getting into it, so I have since built myself a new WC box, and gave him my old one, along with copies of all the disks. The look on his face was priceless when I told him it was his. He's turning 12 in December, and since he's reading at an 8th grade reading level, I think some of the novels would make a highly appropriate gift.

300 posts. Yay.

TheRedDuke said:
I moved out of my 'rents house about a year ago, much to the despair of my 11-year old brother. He had recently discoverd my WC-dedicated PC and was experiencing everything for the first time when I packed up all the equipment and moved away. I felt pretty bad becuase he was really getting into it, so I have since built myself a new WC box, and gave him my old one, along with copies of all the disks. The look on his face was priceless when I told him it was his. He's turning 12 in December, and since he's reading at an 8th grade reading level, I think some of the novels would make a highly appropriate gift.

300 posts. Yay.

Cool story RedDuke. I consider myself fortunate to have grown up during the "Golden Age" of arcade and PC gaming, and WC was a huge part of that for me. I wouldn't trade the experience. Sharing it with another just makes it that much more special.
Today, as someone who works in a computer center at a public library, it always interests me to hear about what the kids are into. I'll ask them if they've ever played WC and without fail I get the same response from everyone: a blank stare. Once in a while someone recalls the movie, but that’s it. It is understandable sure, but still a little sad. Most of them haven’t even heard of the original Doom and wonder why the name of latest release has a “3” affixed to it. Something called “Rune-Scape” has their attention for the moment. I’ve watched them play it and just know they’d have more fun flying a Raptor and blasting a Gratha!

It must be great to pass on the torch. I am old enough to remember playing WC at age ten and having great fun but too young to be having anyone to pass it onto. I will though at some point. Saying that my older brother has just coppied my Privateer CD and is busy having fun playing that. He was always crap at the combat.

Remember, not just the younger generation but those older can be converted.

Back