Pardon my ignorance but....

In the Novel though, Blair is really bothered by Seether, whereas Blair sees him as a threat but doesnt appear afraid of him at all. I did like them teaming up to take him out, but again, without Maniacs help, Blair would have been toast. And the Blair/Sosa thing is obviously sexual as you can tell by their last scene together, whereas there is nothing of the sort in the game.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

I think it has to do with the medium you are in. In the games you are Blair, more or less. Therefore, they tend not to focus on Blair's negatives, because it reflects, to an extent, on you. In the novels, Blair isn't you, but a distinct character. The novel also isn't only geared for people who have played the games, but is an attempt to get a wider audience. Therefore the hero needs to have a bit more depth than in the game (though the games were doing a pretty good job) and needs to still be human so people can identify with him.

Since I played TPOF pretty recently, I remember a lot of the small details pretty well, so I would have to say that there is some sexual tension between Sosa and Blair, especially in that scene where Blair enters the gally and sees Sosa sitting at the table alone (or so it would seem). It`s quite obvious he wants to go sit down near her and make some kind of pass at her, but suddenly Catscratch appears out of nowhere and takes the seat. You can see Blair is embarrassed and tells them to carry on.
About the fact He`s out of shape a bit, Tolwyn does mention to him that he sees the afterlife agrees with Blair, while pointing to the little belly he had developed.
Another thing, about Vagabond`s role in the book, IIRC if you don`t immediately defect to the Border World`s side, but wait for your second chance, Vagabond dies before you get to the Intrepid, isn`t that so?
I find that path much more realistic because Blair is extermely loyal and would not be persuaded to defect so easily. You also get to see Seether do some more horrible things like execute a BW pilot and stuff like that.

Don't you have to dogfight Vagabond if you don't defect? It's been a while since I've played and I only chose that option once. I do know Vag doesn't live too long after the defection.

The reason I only chose that once was that I always felt Blair would trust Eisen, especially since he didn't like Paulson much, and he had seen Paulson and Seether together. Even if that didn't happen, I think that Eisen got Maniac to help to help also would sway Blair. Maniac may be out there, but Eisen still would have had to have worked hard to convince him to try take the risk he did. In the game, Maniac initally thought the BW's were the problem, if I recall correctly his conversation with Blair and Vag.

Mad Hatter: Damn, that galley scene you were talking about must've been removed from the PSX version. It seems a lot of scenes were removed from the PSX version
mad.gif

Actually, you don't have to destroy the Lex in the game; you can leech it, I believe. When the cutscene comes up where Seether and Paulsen escape in a shuttle, the Lex in the background is in one peice, but lights are blinking on and off rapidly.

Yes, you must fight Vag if you don't defect the first time. "Then I deeply regret what I'm about to do," says Lieutenant Chang and starts to fire on you.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Sosa was alone in that scene, I think Blair only approached after she and Catscratch were seated. Also, Blair didn't seem hurt when Sosa offered him a 'graceful exit' suggesting he should see Dekker and the marines.

Before the cutscene starts Sosa is alone at the table. As soon as Blair Starts his approach, (
smile.gif
) , Catscratch arrives with a tray of food and sits down. I know Blair doesn`t lose his wits, but there is a slight hint of embarassment on his face when he leaves, and BTW, what do you think Sosa and Catscratch laugh about after he goes?

Shane: you do have to fight Vagabond, but you can decide not to and just retreat. After you get to the Intrepid, Eisen tells Blair that Vagabond didn`t make it, but doesn`t say where or how he went KIA.

I still think that with all Blair`s trust in Eisen, he`d still be the last person to betray Confed, and that it would take a lot more than a hunch that something is not right to persuade him to do so.

I think Blair's time away may have changed that. All the mistakes he'd seen confed make he decided to go with his gut. He came back into service somewhat reluctantly.

He had to choose between Eisen who had been his friend and he knew to be a good and honorable man and Paulson and Seether. I think the book did a good job of handling it, though it alos had him stay longer. Maybe I'm just wrong.

Blair's loyalty was to the Ideal of Confed. Not to Confed itself. He never betrayed that Ideal. Confed and Toywln betrayed him, not the other way around.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Blair "betrayed" Confed to save Confed.

'Sides, if I was Blair, I'd get my ass of the ship as fast as I could if I saw a guy who had pulled a knife on me arrive on board.
smile.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

When I first heard about the major WC4 decision thing (when my friend played it), I thought Blair should have stuck with Confed. But when I finally managed to get a copy to play, I learnt that 're-enlisting' with the BW would be the best thing to do. When I stayed with Confed on the second run, from Blair's POV, all Confed's ideals dissolves, he says as such to Eisen when given the second chance to 'defect'. Eisen himself says that the Confederation they served during the Kilrathi war was not the same as the Confed represented in WC4.

Also, in both situations, upon Blair's first arrival on the Intrepid, Blair has his doubts about 'defecting' and asks Eisen to explain, hoping he [Blair] hasn't misplaced his faith in him.

Defection, Dralthi5, is not something you do so quickly. You have to keep in mind that it carries the penalty of capital punishment - execution.

Capital punishment sux. But as Blair points out they were "not officially at war." I know they were very much at war unofficially, but I don't think Blair had much time to think things over when given the invitation to join the BW.

Capital punishment sux.
No, let's not go there, Wedge009.

Mad Hatter: To quote Angel, "Death is a fear each of us must face every day aboard this ship."
smile.gif

I was sidetracked a bit by the capital punishment thing, but my main point is still Blair`s unconditional loyalty. If you remember how he regarded Hobbes after betraying the Kilrathi Empire, or the mutiny on board, can`t remember the name of the ship where he met Bear. I know he`s come a long way since these incidents, but still, being put in the same situation, he would have hesitated just enough to miss the 1st opportunity to join the BW.

Ah, but Blair felt that the crew of the Gettysburg was right to mutiny since they were given an illegal order. And I think that Hobbes actually changed Blair's view a lot.

Yes, but he did want to blow them out of the sky at first. Same goes for Hobbes. It took him quite awhile to change his opinion, and I just think that this is not a decision he could make on the spot, wouldn`t you agree?

If you're referring to the Gettysburg incident, I believe Hobbes wanted to get to Ghorah Khar, not blow up the mutineers. Yeah, I know this isn't relevent to the argument.

Mad Hatter: Well, no. Blair always wished that there had been some other way of handling the mutineers. He felt rather bad about shooting at other humans - hint
smile.gif
. And as for Hobbes, that would have been a one-way process. Once he accepted Hobbes, it would have been difficult for him to revert to his old views. Thus, Hobbes would have in fact made Blair's choice easier.

Back