Out With The Old, In With The New (September 2, 2006)

That isn't the answer to his question, though. I'm certainly not going to apologize for being a hard core fan -- the site wouldn't work without that fact.

hurleybird said:
What are you referring to with the word "That"?

The original question... (which was "So, not buying it is just not an option, huh?")

The response you made up: "'Hi, welcome to cruis.net. The point of our polls is usually that they're a fun joke.'"

That isn't the answer to his question.

Ok, I'll be a bit more specific (although I'm still not certain why the first response did not suffice) --how about this:

"Hi, welcome to cruis.net. The point of our polls is usually that they're a fun joke. We thought it would be cute if there was no 'no' option. After all, it wouldn't hurt to pay $20 for the compilation (even if you don't own a PSP) if it tells EA that there is still an interest for Wing Commander, would it?"

It would be nice. I may or may not buy it myself, but I'll be sure to reccomend it to everyone I know with a PSP.

hurleybird said:
Ok, I'll be a bit more specific (although I'm still not certain why the first response did not suffice) --how about this:

"Hi, welcome to cruis.net. The point of our polls is usually that they're a fun joke. We thought it would be cute if there was no 'no' option. After all, it wouldn't hurt to pay $20 for the compilation (even if you don't own a PSP) if it tells EA that there is still an interest for Wing Commander, would it?"

And from my perspective he didn't come here to bitch. It seems to me that he is trying to defend himself.

My reply and LOAF's second post already said all your suggested text. The problem didn't arise until he told us we were wrong to operate a Wing Commander fan site directed towards Wing Commander fanatics. Of course we're going to challenge that, and any reply thereafter would be him defending his ridiculous position.

ChrisReid said:
My reply and LOAF's second post already said all your suggested text.

True, but the first response to his question insulted him and implied that he wasn't a Wing Commander fan. Take the insults out and this situation could have been avoided. People generally don't respond well to insults.

ChrisReid said:
The problem didn't arise until he told us we were wrong to operate a Wing Commander fan site directed towards Wing Commander fanatics. Of course we're going to challenge that, and any reply thereafter would be him defending his ridiculous position.

I don't see him saying that anywhere. I guess the closest would be this:

sq_paradox said:
That is a gross inconsideration of those who visit this site. I might not be the most diehard of Wing Commander fans, but I am a fan. I may not post here often but I do visit this site regularly- at least every few days, if not everyday. And I know I am not alone in that I will not be buying a PSP (for this or any other game), nor will I be spending 20 dollars to buy a game I already own; just like I didn't buy a Gameboy Advanced, or Prophecy Advanced. The majority of visitors to any given site do not necessarily participate in it, and lumping everyone who visits into just the diehard category is just plain wrong.

But it seems more like he's defending his view that you *can* be a Wing Commander fan without purchasing either Prophecy Advance or the EA compilation.

Lt.Death100 said:
Do you want a new WC game? If this doesn't sell then there may never be one.

It seems doubtfull to me that sales of EA Replay will significantly affect our chances of another Wing Commander game one way or the other (as this is a compilation, a standalone port like Prophecy Advanced is another story). I think another Wing Commander game is pretty much inevitable, as soon as someone makes a new space sim that sells like hot cakes another Wing Commander game is all but guaranteed. It could take 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years, but I'm sure there will be a resurgence in the genre some time in the future. In any case, I do hope EA replay sells well so that newer gamers get the chance to play Wing Commander and other classics, and I will be hyping it on other forums that I frequent.

hurleybird said:
It seems doubtfull to me that sales of EA Replay will significantly affect our chances of another Wing Commander game one way or the other (as this is a compilation, a standalone port like Prophecy Advanced is another story).
I'm might have some influence, though, if people tell EA they bought the compilation *Because* of it including Wing Commander.

Nevermind that while true purchasing the compliation may not influence WC's official revival, not purchasing it will be an influence, specifically a negative one.

Agreed. Big game companies need to know that there are still gamers out there who care about the actual gameplay, and not just shiny new graphics.

If you haven't had a chance to look at a PSP, try a store demo. I know it seems like a lot of money, but it's going to be very cool to be able to whip out the orginal Wing Commander whenever I want... I'm constantly describing the games to people, and having the original right there on a bright, colorful screen will be amazing.

Also, people who haven't played the SNES ports are probably in for something of a treat just figuring out all the sometimes strange sometimes wonderful little changes made to that release. Everyone who hasn't seen or heard about the Secret Missions introduction will do a double-take...

First off I would like to point out that I am not the same person as "unregistered". I have an account and though I do seldom post, when I do, I use it. There appears to have been some confusion guarding that and I wanted to clear the air.

Second, the point of my post was really in essence to simply ask the question: why ask a question if you already know that answer? In other words, why ask if people are buying a PSP for Wing Commander if the only option is yes?

As far as being a fan goes, regardless of what you believe I am a fan. Just because I do not eagerly feed the EA cash cow every time it mutters the words Wing Commander does not mean that I am not a fan, it may mean I am not a diehard fan, but it does not mean I am not a fan. Though I am not a diehard, I do want Wing Commander to be revived, perhaps not as much as I want several other dead series to be revived (Space Quest, Quest For Glory, Crusader, etc.), but I would love to see another game made. If EA is going to revive Wing Commander that's great, I'll buy it end of story; if not that's too bad, but it's not the end of the world. I'll move on, Wing Commander may have been great but there are other games.

Futhermore the biggest reason I'm not buying a PSP is not because I don't love Wing Commander, its because I hate Sony. I refuse to give them any money unless it is unavoidable. But that's a long and sorted tale I'd rather not get into at the moment.

Lastly I would like to point out that friends are not made by insulting people, that only serves to alienate them. And though my post count may be low, I have read these forums for many years now, and I know this to be ongoing trend. Whether it be groups like Wing Commander Saga, Wing Commander Universe, or the Privateer Remake. Regardless of what you think of their efforts or their actions, they are fans (if they were not they would not be trying), and driving off fans of a game you so obviously, deeply, love is counterintuitive to it's future and possible resurrection.

Second, the point of my post was really in essence to simply ask the question: why ask a question if you already know that answer? In other words, why ask if people are buying a PSP for Wing Commander if the only option is yes?

Because we don't take fun internet polls as seriously as you do.

Ban this guy, he's a generic troll.

Ah, so he's not the same person who posted as unregistered. That changes my previous defense of the guy a bit...

In any case, I would just let it go (sq_paradox). Who really cares if it doesen't have a 'no' option, it's just a stupid internet poll. And while I do agree that people could be more polite here, I think the best way to accomplish that end is to lead by example. Instead of engaging in rather pointless heated arguments about polls, you could try to adopt a more positive attitude and be kind to others, welcome them to the boards, defend them when they need to be defended, etc. Makes sense, no?

Back