os question on wing commander

cryptkeeper

Spaceman
I have a little 20 gig hard drive. I was thinking of puting windows 98 on it.
Do the wing commander games run on 98. I dont like useing dos box.

Simple answer: No. At least Armada and Privateer 1 do not work under any flavour of windows UNLESS you use emulators or hacks. Also note that you might have serious driver problems in case of Win98. ATI doesn't provide any 9x drivers for current cards AFAIK and Nvidia ones are quite outdated. Same for current soundcards. I am not a fan of XP, but that's the way it is.

well my cousin has a bunch of dos pc. one last quest he said he would let me have one. It is running dos 2000 would that work. Or would I have to use ms-dos. Not sure if they are close enough.

try to get ms-dos 5, or 6.22 and install that windows 98 on thop of that(multi-boot)
but only if you have "old" systems, if you have a 1.4ghz or better system available, just run dosbox.. and run all games on one system

And remember that the original poster's problem was that he didn't like using DOSBox. Installing MS-DOS is no easier, and more cumbersome in a number of ways. What about the DOSBox infrastructure don't you like crypt? You can do some autoexec stuff in dosbox.conf so that you don't need to mount your drives each time you load the program. At that point, it's essentially no more complicated whatsoever than any original Wing Commander setup, and in many ways easier.

Its not the structure or ease of use. I run linux on my other pc.
I dont like the performance. It verys from game to game. I want to set up a system old school style and get stable performance. How would this pc do specs listed below
it has some expansion slots. I could add a graphics card and sound card supported.

• Intel Pentium III 733MHz Processor
• 20GB Hard Drive
• 128MB RAM PC133
• Standard 3½" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
• 48X CD-Rom Drive
• 16MB AGP Video Card
• Onboard Sound
• PCI 10/100 NIC
• 1 AGP & 3 PCI Expansion Slots
• 2 Serial Ports, 2 PS/2 Ports, 2 USB Ports, & 1 Parallel Port

added pci sound blaster 128

pci voodoo series card 3d fx 16mb support by dos 5 and up

running dos 6.22

let me know if this should work please.

cryptkeeper said:
Its not the structure or ease of use. I run linux on my other pc.
I dont like the performance. It verys from game to game. I want to set up a system old school style and get stable performance. How would this pc do specs listed below
it has some expansion slots.

• Intel Pentium III 733MHz Processor

let me know if this should work please.

I don't understand the performance problems you're having. How fast is your regular computer? Some computers might currently be a bit underpowered for Wing Commander 3 in DOSBox, but everything else should just run great. You set about 3500 cycles for WC1, about 4000 for WC3, and about 6500 for Privateer and Armada. They should run perfectly with those settings. WC1 and SM1 simply will not perform on the computer you have described there. They'll be way too fast, and I don't know of any DOS slowdown utility that will compensate. Parts of WC2 might suffer the same problem.

The onboard soundcard will most likely be a problem. However I am not sure if a Sb 128 PCI will work in DOS either. Sound is always the biggest problem for me in pure DOS nowadays. If you find a driver for it that works your remaining system should be fine.

PS: I am not aware of ANY form of DOS that would support a 3dfx card...

Dos does not support 3dfx, the games adresses the card directly.

one game i can think of is carmageddon 1

sound blaster 128 chip can run under the regular sound blaster dos drivers.
there are 3 voodoo cards that come with dos drivers for them dos 5 and up.

As for my current system specs

amd 3000+ xp 32bit
1gig ram
36 gig raptor serial drive
sony dvd dual layer burner
sound blaster audigy ls 24 bit
6800 gt 8x agp

I have tried all suggested settings.
Games lock up and freeze.
Sound skips badly

I have tried wc1 wc2 and armada rental disc

I have also tried kilirathi saga and wc4.
No matter what I do under xp wc4 no sound at all.
this maybe because of the ls chip set.

wing commander just doesnt agree with my system for some reason.

I was going to partition my drive.
To install 95 or 98, but drivers for my hardware are not up to date for those os
And none can read my serial drive natively. I have no floppy drive in this box.
So trying to add them is out.

I run mame 32 and other emulators fine. I have never had a problem running any software on this box till now.

I think my best bet is to use the older system with the voodoo card and
soundblaster with win95 2.5 usb. I could always boot to dos mode.
Best bet install kilrathi saga and wc4 on this system. Also for running in dos mode
it may help the game speed if I turn off the system cach in the bios.

With the help of a kvm switch I could switch between the boxes with ease.

WC4 won't work with sound as the audigy does not have any sound for DOS in XP. You'll need to patch your WC4 to the Windows version or use VDMSound or DOSBOX in order to get sound. Same for WC1, WC2 and Armada. KS should work however.

Back