Origin needs you

Dark Tower

Rear Admiral
Looking around it seems that EA have a job opening for an unreal level editor. More info at http://www.planetunreal.com

An interesting point is that Origin is the group involved so does this mean:
a)Wing commander marines :D
b)A revival of another series ie crusader
c)Yet another Ultima afair (possible since it mention it as a MMP product) :eek:
d)A new product (probably)

Let the rumours spread.

(till someone points out this is old news or knows whats going on)

Well I looked at the list of programmers and they're all very much orientated to MMP games such as Ultima Online, still life inside origin is a good thing in no mistake, and I could definatley see a Wing Commander FPS having played Halo I infact think it could work very well.

being that most, if not all, of the people that were involved with WC are gone, i'd doubt that it'd be a new WC game. plus they have shown no interest in the subject, cause they want a MMP game that has thousands of loyal subscribers that translates into large sums of money at regular intervals. but if they do make a WC:Marines, they should use an ID engine, perhaps quake 3. ID"s new doom 3 engine looks amazining, but being that i have a GF4 Ti 4400, and only get 1 or 2 FPS while fighting, makes me think this would not be great for WC.

I've been dreaming of playing WC:Marines since the time I had WC1 and Doom installed in my 386... the second coolest crossover idea would've been something between Armada & Homeworld. Or Battlezone. That would've been great.

Originally posted by Edfilho
...the second coolest crossover idea would've been something between Armada & Homeworld. Or Battlezone. That would've been great.

Amen to that. I think a Battlezone-style game in the WC universe could be an awesome game! Perhaps if it had a little more of a "bigger picture" feel to it than Battlezone did, it'd be even better... Maybe allowing the player to relocate personnel between different planets, or different bases in the same planet (kind of a Dune-like planet interface, with the planet divided in regions you have to conquer or defend, some with natural resources, some with military bases) and having things like air strikes besides just the ground battles... but then again, having the player in charge all the marine actions on an entire planet/system/whatever, but at the same time going to the front lines himself (Big Duke anyone?) would make the game a bit contradictory, perhaps?
Anyway, I think I'm going off topic too early in the thread :p

--Eder

Well, I wasn't refering to the ground-fighting part of Battlezone, but to the command interface. you would have a command fighter you would fly around and give orders, that inside a Homeworld-like environment...

But your idea is pretty good too. It'd be silly to think that the confed armed forces is comprised exclusively of Spaceships and marines!!! ok, there are some tanks in wc3 and 4. but maybe we could throw a couple of mechs for good measure, eh?

Well, I wasn't refering to the ground-fighting part of Battlezone, but to the command interface. you would have a command fighter you would fly around and give orders, that inside a Homeworld-like environment...
Personally, I don't think that would work well in a fighter, cause the battles in WC are pretty fast-paced... and being in command of the entire fleet would work, but IMO it would be too much like Homeworld (and there's already a WC mod for Homeworld out there, after all :))... But if you were in command of something like a squadron of destroyers or cruisers then that could definitely work, too (specially since some destroyers and cruisers in WC have the ability to carry fighters) - you would receive assignments from the Admiral of the fleet, then give orders to the ships under your command and things like that... That could work, since it'd be like a mix between Homeworld and Armada, but still being a storyline-driven game like most other WC games :)

But your idea is pretty good too. It'd be silly to think that the confed armed forces is comprised exclusively of Spaceships and marines!!! ok, there are some tanks in wc3 and 4. but maybe we could throw a couple of mechs for good measure, eh?
Not to mention infantry, atmospheric fighters, and whatnot. Before the appearance of walkers and the furies, Battlezone was pretty damn cool with just tanks, cause there were all kinds of tanks - APCs, scouts, heavy tanks, etc - lots of variety!

I presume there must be many different kinds of ground vehicles in WC, too, since in some battles there's probably no air support at all - so all functions would have to be performed by ground vehicles... so I think a ground-based game with atmospheric fighters and some kind of mission-planning and a persistent game world like I mentioned earlier could be a very unique gaming experience instead of just a Battlezone copy... if done right, of course. It only takes a few idiots to screw up even the most perfect concept of a game :p

--Eder

ok, there are some tanks in wc3 and 4. but maybe we could throw a couple of mechs for good measure, eh?

Hover tanks, in fact. There are also some drill-tanks for the cats, and some mech-alike walking things on the novels.

how about i like the idea of a starcraft marines games, it's so much better than my own idea for a cross between WC and Tony Hawk ProSkater....;)

Originally posted by Dark Tower
Looking around it seems that EA have a job opening for an unreal level editor. More info at http://www.planetunreal.com

Hmm, the proposal for Genesis involved the Unreal engine...

(... but looking through Origin's job pages, they apparently like UO-developers to have Unreal experience, too... still...)

Back