Origin Hated Petrarca?

I don't know about you, but *I* didn't get hearbroken and distraught over the death of Angel, I watched Blair do it. However, I see your point and obviously the "character" of Blair is not a concrete thing, as you shape the character through your own choices and emotions to perceive him in the way that you wish. In a sense, when I play WC, I get my own custom Blair. I carry that "custom Blair" with me in my WC history as the definitive Blair.

I don't know about you, but *I* didn't get hearbroken and distraught over the death of Angel, I watched Blair do it.

I don't agree, but I'm not sure where you're perspective comes from.

THere really isn't anything in wc3 to make the player feel for Angel other than that the game tells them that Blair is in love with her. To some degree though the reaction is played out by the player... do you keep drinking? do you hit paladin? do you get over it and hook up with either flint or rachel? Or - one of the best examples of how choices should be done - do you chase after Thrakhath after the Behemoth is destroyed.

But If someone originally played WC 1 and 2 then the history is there. You lived it. When She dies, it's litterally shocking and heart wrenching. To some degree you almost can't accept at first that she would be killed.

See to me it came off as good drama. It was entertainment. I'm not saying I'm some sicko who gets off on death and misery, but I guess I never viewed Blair as "myself", as others seem to. I saw him as Blair, the hero of the WC Saga, and although I made choices for him, he was not me, I made those choices to create the character that I wanted Blair to be. I hope that made sense, I think I'm starting to confuse myself even.

And if that's not a good enough explanation, I was worried LOAF wasn't happy. And if LOAF's not happy, the community suffers a bit, I think. I'd rather erroneously heap the whole responsibility for stepping out of line for everybody and bring us back to topic to make everything peachy once again.

My point was (and remains) that the thread doesn't need a million people jumping up to defend Petraca... because no one present is attacking him (save possibly for Mav23, whose original post was unusually reactionary). We're dealing with a historical issue -- what certain people who were important to the game but who are no longer present -- thought. Everyone took this as a need to defend the actor, when that ultimately just prevents the real discussion -- why did *they* think that way, what impact did it have and so forth.

It was probably that he was being payed by scale - voice over work doesn't pay as well as live action. Maybe he didnt think it merited a paycheck? Maybe he had something better to do that weekend? Who knows.

I believe Stiletto, Maestro, Spyder and such all agreed to do Secret Ops for scale, either out of the goodness of their hearts or because they thought it the only way they would ever have a chance at returning to do another FMV game. Casey simply refused.

We probably shouldn't spend so much time thinking less of him as we should praising the others -- it was very good of them to do that, and very good of EA to put forth the expense for a game that was to be released for free.

The hell kind of person are you?

Don't do this ever again. There are few more annoying internetisms than deciding en masse to drop interrogative adjectives for no reason.

I just wanted to know why did some people considered the casting inadequate. I think I agree with them, but I have no idea if it's for the same reasons. But somehow they didn't feel right, for some reason.

I don't know if it's so much that the casting was necessarily worse as it was unacceptably different, and it seemed fairly jarring when put up next to the returning characters.

The games had very different casting philosophies -- WC3 and 4 used recognizable names and familiar character actors... while Prophecy went for absolute unknowns, presumably thinking that they could win over an audience and be an affordable set of recurring actors for future stories.

With Prophecy you can bring back the entire ensemble for every future game... with WC3 and 4, you have to pick and choose a couple of characters based on budget. That's why you lose people like Malcolm McDowell and John Rhys-Davies.

The pool used for the WC3 and 4 group was also primarily film actors, where Prophecy was taken from the television talent pool. Either works well on their own -- but together it becomes somewhat awkward.

I really liked all of WCP's cast, except casey, who was too much of a Peter Parker type... But even him didn't bother me much.

Zero, Stilleto and Maestro were all VERY good, IMO. I especially liked them in-game, on space.

I really liked all of WCP's cast, except casey, who was too much of a Peter Parker type... But even him didn't bother me much.

Was Peter Parker a Peter Parker type in 1997, though?

What was Petrarca doing that made him too big for Secret Ops?
Doubling as Peter Parker perhaps?
I'm not sympathetic towards anyone who is 'too good' to be a Wing Commander god, I'd voiceover for free!

Besides if world class actors like MacDowell, Rhys-Davies and Hamill are up for it you better be William Shakespear himself to turn it down.

What? The guy had other things to do, and the pay for a voice-over only job was too low. Petrarca needs to pay his bills, like anyone else.

What was Petrarca doing that made him too big for Secret Ops?
Doubling as Peter Parker perhaps?
I'm not sympathetic towards anyone who is 'too good' to be a Wing Commander god, I'd voiceover for free!

The only people we'll ever talk to about this are Origin vets, and even they seem to have no problem with the man himself -- we just don't know what the full story was. Maybe he didn't want to take low-paying work, maybe he just doesn't do voice work (which requires a particular talent -- even if you're doing your own voice)... maybe he was shooting something else during the week they needed to do the WCSO voices (like Malcolm McDowell, who dropped out of the WC movie at the last minute for that same reason).

Back