Open Source Space Flight Combat Sim Engine

Kazan

Swabbie
Banned
Ok, I recently set in motion to beginnings of a project to write a new engine for FreeSpace 2 -

the FreeSpace Forever project (the FSFengine)

this engine has possibly applications for the Wing Commander community to create it's own wing commander game from existing canonical ships and info, etc.

If you would like to find out more about FreeSpace Forever, or would like to contribute [programmers are sorely needed] wander over to http://www.3dap.com/hlp and enter the forums - currently all discussion is in the Hard Light forum.

Btw: This is a cross-platform project

i think it would b cool, but there r so many open source porjects. and many flight sims, and even space sims.
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=85 here is a list of open source sims.

i mean, Vega Strike is no stranger to the CIC.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

and look, the claw, and other fighter from WC1.
there is even a Hellcat V.!!(hehe, u cat fan's out there love that.)

it is a nice gesture on the half of the FS community, but I think the use of the FS engine period would rob a WC continuation of it's WC roots. after all, WC sold as a result of it's story, not it's then stellar flight engine.

but i don't speak on behalf of the WC community, just giving my 2 cents.:rolleyes:

but i have to say it is a fine looking engine for FS.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Freespace 2 doesn't deserve to have *one* engine, though. Much-less two... :)
And we love you too, LOAF. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Happy
it is a nice gesture on the half of the FS community, but I think the use of the FS engine period would rob a WC continuation of it's WC roots. after all, WC sold as a result of it's story, not it's then stellar flight engine.
Let's just say that 'the FS community' doesn't exactly know about this....

The way Kazan put this basically sounds like you guys can have the leftovers from whatever happens with this project.

Anyhow, leaving those matters aside, I don't see why you can't have a good flight engine and a good story.....

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
All 24,000 of you :)?
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Originally posted by Happy
after all, WC sold as a result of it's story, not it's then stellar flight engine.

Hell yeah! Who needs this stupid "texture" crap? In MY day, space sim had FOUR colors . . . and we LIKED THEM, DAMMIT!!!!!

:)p)

Shrike: Dude, that felt a lot like the meeting with Many-As-One in Planescape Torment! At least until that 'RESISTANCE IS FUTILE'. Love Planescape Torment...

Planescape Torment has a great story, truly, one of the best CRPG if not the best. the end almost made me cry

Incredible writing in that game... The ending had me worshipping Vhailor the last time I completed it (though the episode with Trias almost made me regret the day he was born - or killed). *Shrug* There's nothing a bit of global +25 stat-increase can't do. (He really got that, I swear! Heh, the bugger had almost 300 HP after that! :cool: )

Back