Oooh! HL2 space mod

I just like how they combined both FPS and space combat. How good the space stuff is is anyones guess.

From what I've seen I can state that I don't like it. It seems to me like another FPS with added arcade-style space sim, which has nothing in common with anything I personally like on space simulators (too many things to mention). I guess even otherwise great HL2 engine won't be a reason to be interested in this project.

The Graphics didn't seem to impressive to me...granted the video quality wasn't all that great but didn't look any better to me than Starlancer...

The first version of the mod is supposed to be released soon so I'll probably give it a shot and let you know how it is.

A proper link: http://www.eternal-silence.net/ Downloading it now.

And a higher quality trailer: http://cache4.spawnpoint.com/es-trailer.zip
Om another note, the HUD for spaceflight (it looks in the video like you can choose a first or third person view for your fighter) looks *very* WC4.

EDIT: So I tried it out for a bit. The FPS part of the game is relatively ok. It has your typical class system and a need to maintain control of various checkpoint on your ship or base plus the objective of taking over those of your enemies.

Of course everyone wants to know about the Spaceflight. I think the mod has promise but as it stands at the moment it is flawed. Of course I suppose you should expect that in the initial beta release. I'll talk about flight dynamics in a minute but first I want to address the spawn system. Once your team takes a checkpoint in the enemies base you can spawn there. If your team is not on the ball the last half of the game pretty much is just FPS where you try to take back your base. I guess that makes sense yet I really just wanted to blast space ships.

The FPS portion of the game is well enough. Pretty standard I guess though the environments are a little bland. Decent for a mod in it's initial phase, I guess. Asteroids look pretty good though. Oddly I found games with less people tended to have for spaceflight going on. In larger games the spaceflight was simply an annoying way to get between the various FPS battles. You have to initially take the fighter and try to get into the enemy hangar.

So what about the space flight? For mouse control, direction is controled kind of like WC except that the controls are reversed which was throwing me off a bit. Thrusters use your typical forward/back of FPS (W and S) It seemed though that stopping pressing forward stopped your ship, though there is key to switch to a more neutonian flight model. I never had space flight last long enough to be fun though. And there was no indication that attacking the bases with a fighter would make any kind of difference. When I did get into dogfights, It did show promise though I think they have a lot of work ahead of them in that regard. it seems that F is kind of like the L(ock) key in WC. You can fire missiles any time but the only track the target if fired when locked. Otherwise they reminded me of the Dragonflys in WCP.

Joysticks are supported. But I the default mapping doesnt include firing guns or missiles. (what the hell? DId I miss something THIS MAKES USING THE JOYSTICK USELESS) the controls once out of the hangar seem smooth enough and it may or may not allow throttle control (which would be a hell of a lot better than constantly presssing W) But my ship would spin uncontrolably untill I got out of the hangar. With some tweaking and calibrating these issues might disapear but I don't have time to look into it tonight.
There were some other wierd graphical glitches where the game switches between FPS and spaceflight in the hangars

So I gave the mod another shot and all I can say is that it needs a lot of work still to be really fun. The flight dynamics take some getting used to. I'm a pretty hardcore WC vet and couldnt score a fighter kill (FPS kills are easy if you play a lot of those, the shooter portion is pretty standard). I managed to figure out how to map keys properly. I still don't know why it doesnt automatically choose the joystick buttons when you switch ship control to the joystick. On one server there was some pretty intense dogfighting going on with no team being able to get a foothold on the others base which was cool. but for now I don't think I'm willing to suffer the bugs and stuff long enough to get good at it. I'll check out later releases though and see what they've improved.

yea, I like the space flight in the game quite a bit, the Blue team's Interceptor is a lot like a Hellcat/Stiletto equivalent with loads of Stormfire and Imrecs. The other main fighter is more similar to the Dralthi in appearence. The ground game is a lot like HL2, and the main thing about this game that bugs the crap out of me, is that you can go in REVERSE at almost full speed, so you're chasing someone, and bam, they turn around and go full reverse and blast you away.

The handguns had pretty weird effects in that trailer. They all looked like UT's linkguns.

They almost looked like WC ships in the trailer. In fact, I was half expecting that they were WC models.

well, the main fighter looks like a slightly modified Dralthi or Drakhri, but the reverse at full speed annoys the hell out of me.

Back