Oof, Right in the Listicle (September 20, 2017)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!

The Animated Times is running one of those list articles that the kids today love: "15 Video Game Cartoons You Totally Forgot." Wing Commander Academy makes the list, at #15:
The Wing Commander franchise made a splash when it debuted in 1990, but it was never a series that burned up the sales charts. This, however, didn’t stop the USA Network from turning the space combat games into a short lived cartoon in 1996.

Serving as a prequel to Wing Commander, Wing Commander Academy followed a group of recruits as they attended the titular Academy and learned the ins and outs of space combat. The series featured a stacked voice cast, featuring the likes of Mark Hamill, Malcom McDowell and Ron Perlman, and even managed to crossover with the Street Fighter cartoon and Mortal Kombat cartoon during its brief run. Despite these impressive credentials, Wing Commander Academy had its plug pulled after a single season.
Of course, one obvious correction: the Wing Commander franchise was the best-selling PC game series of all time for several years. But it's nice to see Academy mentioned! Fellow 'Action Extreme Team' member (and reluctant crossover) Mortal Kombat shows up at #1.

--
Original update published on September 20, 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not realise Ron Perlman contributed his voice to WCA! Then again, IMDb lists him as the voice for Karnes and was present for three episodes, so not exactly a recurring character.

Indeed nice to have WCA included. I think I first saw the DKC cartoon in Mauritius, of all places (picked up from a TV station in neighbouring Réunion, so it was dubbed in French, of course). It was cheesy, but I don't recall it being as bad as the writer suggests.

Theres quite a few titles that deserve to be on this list - Double Dragon, Captain N, Super Mario World, The Power Team - but aren't because "reasons"

I did not realise Ron Perlman contributed his voice to WCA! Then again, IMDb lists him as the voice for Karnes and was present for three episodes, so not exactly a recurring character.

Indeed nice to have WCA included. I think I first saw the DKC cartoon in Mauritius, of all places (picked up from a TV station in neighbouring Réunion, so it was dubbed in French, of course). It was cheesy, but I don't recall it being as bad as the writer suggests.

Fascinating, I would love to preserve the French dub... I've never heard it.

I haven't come across a French dub either, so I'm curious to hear it. I did find an Arabic dub a while ago... that was interesting.

That would be another good one to preserve!
This seems to be the official site... a youtube-alike. You can find them on youtube as well though there's some crappy advertising overlays on the youtube version from whoever uploaded it
... they also seem to have cut out the crazy Arabic theme song... that has lyrics even in the youtube version

Theres quite a few titles that deserve to be on this list - Double Dragon, Captain N, Super Mario World, The Power Team - but aren't because "reasons"
I thought they listed SMW at number 11...

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I was referring to DKC - Donkey Kong Country - there.

Ah I apologize for my confusion! (But I'm glad in a way, I was all ready to seek out the French WCA dub! We managed to find and grab the Arabic one last night. :))

Back