Ongoing WC project about to break out

Yumm, the textures on that ralari are a lot nicer than what we're using for UE :) I just wish X-wing alliance has been a better game, I never even completed it, just got bored, plus I wasn't a great fan of the engine. Maybe now I can get some real use out of it.
Do we get missions as well as ships?

Well, of course. I did say we had our own storyline, masterminded by the glorious Nob Akimoto...

Work on the Crossbow and WC2 Bloodfang is accelerating.

I may get the Diligent and Drayman done soon as well.

A couple of our modelers are caught up in RL(tm), though, so we might slow down a bit.

/edit/

I visited the UE webpage, it looks nice, you guys are putting a lot of effort into this mod, and since you're basing it on a Scimitar squadron...you definitely need a really really good model (Hawkeye is working on a cockpit and exterior model as well).

So I took a nice screenshot of it (and Hornet) and I have another one showing three super-fighters from the first three games:

scimitar1.jpg

These textures were hand-drawn by Hawkeye, as was the model, it is quite stunning. I also have completely accurate mass driver cannons for it (sound, model).

rapier4.jpg

Yes, that evil Grikath is definitely a superfighter.

[Edited by dreddnott on 02-12-2001 at 04:58]

That sure is :) So is there any chance UE could get some ships ahead of the crowd? We'd need some time to get them in the right format anyway I'm sure

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
[BThe problem with UE ships isn't just about textures, but also about flat shapes (ie wings) of some ships like the Gratha and the Scimitar. Unfortunatly, since these are flat, they tend to disapear when saw from the side (like a sheet of paper).[/B]

Maybe if you save them as double-sided, it could be fixed, it would up a little the poly count, but since the ships are low poly, i think there is no trouble...:)
If you want, you can send me a model in 3d format, not wc format, and i will see if i can do it.

That's not actually the problem, KW. They already are double-sided. As Pete said, it's a lot like a piece of paper. You can look at both sides of it, but if you turn it so that you're looking only at its edge, you'll see nothing.

The only way to fix it would be to actually fatten up the wings and add a leading (or maybe trailing) edge polygon to the mesh.

Or use our models. :)

Speaking of which...we will be using a couple of ships that did not appear in the games or anything else (besides my imagination): The Gorthrakh heavy fighter (of which you can see pics in the wctc/pics folder, it's the large one with forward-swept wings, 3 guns on each side, and a Gothri/Grikath-style cockpit) and the Tomcat interceptor (made by the same company that made the Raptor, quad particles, fast, but rejected in favour of Epee and improved Rapier). Perhaps as ace/elite squadron craft and/or merc ships...I plan on making at least a couple more.

Also, finished one of the WC Armada craft - so here's a couple pics (4 total in http://www.xwlegacy.net/wctc/pics folder):

phantom2.jpg

Pretty spiffy...

tomcat1.jpg

This is a very maneuverable and fairly fast fighter, due to the positioning of its engines. However, it suffers, like the future Bearcat, from bad gun positioning (you'd think they'd learn!). It was the first ship to use ITTS (to compensate) and also the first to use particle cannons (at the time, four was an extravagance, part of the reason they chose the dual particle-armed Rapier G and Epee over it).

I'm really hoping to get the super-high-detail Crossbow done, and the Drayman and Diligent as well. The Crossbow is having model problems, and the Drayman is having texture problems. :)

Yes, well, speaking of your models, can we use them? :)

That Tomcat is an interesting design... though it may be that the designers had been staring at the Jalthi too long ;).

I was looking through the UE site, and frankly there wasn't much technical information, I need a lot of that before I can help you out, like, for instance, all the ships you plan on importing (is it just Scim and Gratha, or what?), and what you already have done.

I have every single WC1 fighter, all the WC2 Kilrathi (excepting Bloodfang), and all but two (Sabre, Crossbow) of the WC2 Confed fighters done. Capital ships are another matter...we have three (Venture, Ralari, and Concordia) but I'm working on trannies now.

The mod looks very interesting, and I want to do anything I can to assist any WC project for almost any game.

/edit/

Ooh, you have a Fralthi! We're working on a Bengal right now, and a Fralthi was slated to be done by JC after he finished the Strakha, but that may not be necessary if your Fralthi model is convertible (I've downloaded your ship pack but do not have WCP or SO). :)

[Edited by dreddnott on 02-14-2001 at 19:28]

If you need any help to convert new models, you can count with me Q, id love to see those ships in SO...:D

Originally posted by dreddnott
(I've downloaded your ship pack but do not have WCP or SO).
The first chapter of SO is still available for free, with it and wcpedit, you should be able to see the ships.

Hmm, well, we've got Scims, Gratha, Ralari, Fralthi, Salthi, Epees, and a few WC3/4 ships like Arrows, Banshees, and so on. And of course, we've got the Dauntless, which is a Bengal-class. We do already have models for every single one of these (actually, that was the prime requirement - we only chose ships for which there already were models out there), but yours actually have proper edges ;). The Scims are obviously what we need the most, since they're the stars of our little show, but the Gratha and Epees would also be good... actually, any of the WC1/2 ships listed above would be good.

WCP models certainly are convertible to other formats... I'm not sure how that goes exactly, but perhaps KillerWave or PopsiclePete can explain how that goes.

There is a WCP/SO to dxf tool somewhere, but it doesnt extract the ships with the texture coordinates....Thomas is working on a 3d exploration plugin that will extract them with its texture coordinates

[Edited by KillerWave on 02-14-2001 at 23:08]

1. DXF doesn't do textures

2. XWA doesn't do skinmaps

The texturing paradigms behind XWA and WCP are far removed, so I won't be needing the Fralthi's textures at all, just the wireframe (I'll see if I can find it somewhere on the 'net before I try the conversion to DXF).

BTW, ironically, we are using the exact same Epee model...but that's because I take the Epee for granted.

XW conversion ships to prophecy?

As far as I can tell, we could probably
convert the new X Wing ships to the prophecy engine,
but they would need to be retextured.
A similar process would be needed for Flight
Commander as well.

If we could get better Scim and Gratha, that would be great. Personally, I'd like to see us raiding Kilrathi renegade bases with a sharper looking Dauntless.

BTW, that Scim you have is sharp. So much so that instead of denting an Epee during collision, it'd shear off those tissue paper wings on the Epee like a hot razor to butter.;)

Re: XW conversion ships to prophecy?

Originally posted by eddieb
As far as I can tell, we could probably
convert the new X Wing ships to the prophecy engine,
but they would need to be retextured.

Why? The WC models in the XWA mod wasnt textured before geting it in the game? If so, i could convert them textured.

Killerwave is that an offer to help if they give us the models?
We sure could use your help if and when we get the models :)

I already offered my help in this thread, but since i got no response, i thought you didnt needed it. Of course i will help, i want to help finish UE anyway i can, because i want to play it :D, plus i would love to see those models in the SO engine :D

Back